Radiohead’s Thom Yorke says he would not now play in Israel

Radiohead’s Thom Yorke says he would not now play in Israel
Radiohead frontman Thom Yorke has said in a British newspaper interview he would not now perform in Israel. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 27 October 2025
Follow

Radiohead’s Thom Yorke says he would not now play in Israel

Radiohead’s Thom Yorke says he would not now play in Israel
  • Band begin their first tour in 7 years next month in Europe

LONDON: Radiohead frontman Thom Yorke has said in a British newspaper interview he would not now perform in Israel, eight years after the band defied pro-Palestinian activists to play a Tel Aviv gig. “Absolutely not. I wouldn’t want to be 5,000 miles anywhere near the Netanyahu regime,” he told The Sunday Times Magazine, referring to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government.

The interview with members of the British band — whose UK No. 1 albums include “OK Computer” and “Kid A” — took place before this month’s ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas.

The band begin their first tour in seven years next month, playing 20 shows in five European cities.

Radiohead's 2016-2018 “A Moon Shaped Pool” world tour ignited a backlash when the group performed in Tel Aviv despite boycott calls.

Yorke hinted at some regret over the decision in the new interview, saying he was “horrified” when a “clearly connected high up” Israeli came to their hotel to thank them for playing.

The issue has dogged the band and its members at other points. Yorke briefly walked offstage during a solo gig in Australia last year after a pro-Palestinian heckler shouted “How many dead children will it take for you to condemn the genocide in Gaza?”

The frontman released a statement in May saying the incident left him “in shock that my supposed silence was somehow being taken as complicity.”

Radiohead bandmate Jonny Greenwood is married to an Israeli artist and has faced sustained criticism from boycott advocates for his long-time collaboration with Israel-born rock musician Dudu Tassa.

The Radiohead guitarist told the magazine he spent a lot of time in Israel with family and was “not ashamed of working with Arab and Jewish musicians.”
 


Cinephiles embark on journey through European film in Riyadh

Cinephiles embark on journey through European film in Riyadh
Updated 04 November 2025
Follow

Cinephiles embark on journey through European film in Riyadh

Cinephiles embark on journey through European film in Riyadh
  • Cinema links cultures, says EU envoy Christophe Farnaud
  • 15 European films subtitled in Arabic, English until Nov. 11

RIYADH: The fourth edition of the European Film Festival began on Monday in Riyadh, featuring 15 films from as many European countries — all subtitled in Arabic and English — until Nov. 11.

The bridge-building event has been organized by the Delegation of the EU to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, in collaboration with Arabia Pictures, VOX Cinemas, the Saudi Film Commission, as well as embassies of member states. 

On Monday, ambassadors, media representatives and other individuals were shown the Latvian film “Flow,” winner of the 2025 Oscar for Best Animated Feature.

On Tuesday, the festival screened Norwegian film “Titina” and Spanish film “EL 47.”

Christophe Farnaud, ambassador of the EU to Saudi Arabia, said: “Four years on, the festival has become a landmark on Saudi Arabia’s cultural calendar.”

He added that it is “a vibrant bridge of EU-Saudi cooperation that celebrates Europe’s storytelling heritage alongside the Kingdom’s rise as a global creative powerhouse.”

During the opening ceremony, Farnaud highlighted the festival’s role in fostering dialogue between European and Saudi Arabia filmmakers.

He said “cinema is one of the most powerful forms of art — it makes us dream, laugh, and cry. It connects people across cultures.”  

Abdulilah Alahmary, founder of Arabia Pictures, said: “We were thrilled to bring another outstanding lineup of European cinema to Saudi audiences, enriched with special guests and free masterclasses.” 

The festival features interactive seminars and masterclasses led by prominent filmmakers from Europe and Saudi Arabia.

Among the highlights were Visual Effects Artist Martins Upitis, who contributed to “Flow,” and Norwegian director Kajsa Naess, known for the acclaimed animated film “Titina.”  

Speaking to Arab News, Upitis said: “This is my first time in Saudi Arabia, and it’s such an honor to be part of the European Film Festival in Riyadh. I hope audiences here enjoy ‘Flow’ as much as we enjoyed creating it.”