Lebanon’s president says ‘no choice but to negotiate with Israel using diplomatic language’

Update Lebanon’s president says ‘no choice but to negotiate with Israel using diplomatic language’
Israel has repeatedly bombed Lebanon despite a November 2024 ceasefire that sought to end over a year of hostilities with Hezbollah, escalating attacks in recent days. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 03 November 2025
Follow

Lebanon’s president says ‘no choice but to negotiate with Israel using diplomatic language’

Lebanon’s president says ‘no choice but to negotiate with Israel using diplomatic language’
  • Joseph Aoun reaffirms Beirut’s commitment to non-war dialogue, admits Israel remains ‘enemy’
  • Israeli airstrikes kill 2, including Hezbollah commander previously injured in pager explosion

BEIRUT: Lebanese President Joseph Aoun on Monday reiterated his commitment to negotiate with Israel, saying that his country had “no option” in the matter.

However, he said: “Negotiation is not conducted with a friend or ally, but with an enemy.

“The language of negotiation is more important than the language of war, which we have seen what it has done to us.”

The media office at the Presidential Palace quoted Aoun as reaffirming his commitment to “the diplomatic language adopted by all of us, from Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri to Prime Minister Nawaf Salam.”

Lebanon remains committed to the framework of negotiation “through the Mechanism Committee,” which is limited to military representatives, with the possibility of including civilians in accordance with an American proposal put forward last week by Morgan Ortagus to Lebanese officials.

Aoun’s remarks came in the wake of Israel’s intensification of its attacks on southern Lebanon aimed at increasing the pressure on Hezbollah to disarm.

An Israeli airstrike targeted a motorcycle in Aita Al-Shaab, killing its driver, in the second strike within a few hours.

News outlets close to Hezbollah reported that the man killed was Youssef Naameh, the brother of two others previously killed in Israeli strikes.

In an earlier strike, Israel Defense Forces targeted the town of Doueir in the Nabatieh district, killing one person and injuring seven, according to a statement from the Lebanese Ministry of Health.

Multiple Lebanese news outlets reported that the man killed was Hezbollah commander Mohammed Ali Hadid, who had previously been wounded in a pager explosion carried out by Mossad in September 2024 — an operation for which Israel never officially claimed responsibility.

According to reports, Hadid had survived a prior Israeli strike on Sunday in the southern town of Zefta, where Israeli drones launched at least three missiles at a target. However, these strikes failed to hit their intended objective.

Footage circulated online showed the targeted car engulfed in heavy flames as firefighting teams fought the effects of the strike which had also resulted in several parked cars catching fire.

A commercial complex containing shops and restaurants was also damaged.

Israel’s Channel 12 reported that the recent Israeli attacks followed comments from an “Israeli security source” on Sunday.

The source said that “the Lebanese state does not enter certain areas where Hezbollah operates and, if we are asked to act, we know how to increase the pace of attacks in Lebanon if necessary.”

These escalating Israeli strikes have raised the death toll to 16 in less than a week, most of them members of Hezbollah.

A deadly airstrike on Saturday on the town of Kfar Roummane in Nabatieh killed four Hezbollah members and wounded three passersby.

A security source has been quoted as expecting an escalation of Israeli attacks during the remaining months of the year, which is the deadline given by the Lebanese army to complete the disarmament plan south of the Litani Line.

Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz accused Hezbollah on Sunday of “playing with fire.” He said he was holding the Lebanese government and the Lebanese president “responsible for procrastinating in fulfilling their commitments regarding the disarmament of the party and its withdrawal from the south.”

He also affirmed that “Israel will continue to implement a policy of maximum response in its military operations and will not allow any threat targeting northern residents,” calling on the Lebanese authorities to “assume their full responsibilities to ensure stability and prevent escalation.”


Iraq can disarm factions only when the US withdraws, prime minister says 

Iraq can disarm factions only when the US withdraws, prime minister says 
Updated 04 November 2025
Follow

Iraq can disarm factions only when the US withdraws, prime minister says 

Iraq can disarm factions only when the US withdraws, prime minister says 
  • Sudani highlights US investment in Iraq’s energy sector
  • Sudani confident in election victory, aims for second term

BAGHDAD: Iraq has pledged to bring all weapons under the control of the state, but that will not work so long as there is a US-led coalition in the country that some Iraqi factions view as an occupying force, the prime minister said on Monday.
Prime Minister Mohammed Shia Al-Sudani said a plan was still in place to have the multinational anti-Daesh coalition completely leave Iraq, one of Iran’s closest Arab allies, by September 2026 because the threat from Islamist militant groups had eased considerably.
“There is no Daesh. Security and stability? Thank God it’s there ... so give me the excuse for the presence of 86 states (in a coalition),” he said in an interview in Baghdad, referring to the number of countries that have participated in the coalition since it was formed in 2014.
“Then, for sure there will be a clear program to end any arms outside of state institutions. This is the demand of all,” he said, noting factions could enter official security forces or get into politics by laying down their arms.
‘No side can pull Iraq to war’, says Sudani
Iraq is navigating a politically sensitive effort to disarm Iran-backed militias amid pressure from the US, which has said it would like Sudani to dismantle armed groups affiliated with the Popular Mobilization Forces, an umbrella group of mostly Shiite factions. The PMF was formally integrated into Iraq’s state forces and includes several groups aligned with Iran.
At the same time, the US and Iraq have agreed on a phased withdrawal of American troops, with a full exit expected by the end of 2026. An initial drawdown began in 2025.
Asked about growing international pressure on non-state armed groups in the region such as Lebanon’s Hezbollah, part of Iran’s so-called Axis of Resistance created to counter US and Israeli influence in the Middle East, Sudani said:
“There is time enough, God willing. The situation here is different than Lebanon.”
“Iraq is clear in its stances to maintain security and stability and that state institutions have the decision over war and peace, and that no side can pull Iraq to war or conflict,” said Sudani.
Shiite power Iran has gained vast influence in Iraq since a US-led invasion toppled Saddam Hussein in 2003, with heavily armed pro-Iranian paramilitary groups wielding enormous political and military power.
Successive Iraqi governments have faced the challenge of keeping both arch-foes Iran and the US as allies. While the US slaps sanctions on Iran, Iraq does business with it.
Securing major US investment is a top priority for Iraq, which has faced severe economic problems and years of sectarian bloodletting since 2003.
Us companies increasingly active in Iraq, says Sudani
“There is a clear, intensive and qualitative entrance of US companies into Iraq,” said Sudani, including the biggest ever agreement with GE for 24,000 MW of power, equivalent to the country’s entire current generation capacity, he said.
In August, Iraq signed an agreement in principle with US oil producer Chevron (CVX.N), for a project at Nassiriya in southern Iraq that consists of four exploration blocks in addition to the development of other producing oil fields.
Sudani said an agreement with US LNG firm Excelerate to provide LNG helped Iraq cope with rolling power cuts.
Sudani praised a recent preliminary agreement signed with ExxonMobil, and he said the advantage of this agreement is that for the first time Iraq is agreeing with a global company to develop oilfields along with an export system.
Sudani said that US and European companies had shown interest in a plan for the building of a fixed platform for importing and exporting gas off the coast of the Grand Faw Port, which would be the first project there.
Sudani said the government had set a deadline for the end of 2027 to stop all burning of gas and to reach self-sufficiency in gas supplies, and to stop gas imports from Iran.
“We burn gas worth four to five billion (dollars) per year and import gas with 4 billion dollars per year. These are wrong policies and it’s our government that has been finding solutions to these issues,” he said.
Sudani is running against established political parties in his ruling coalition in Iraq’s November 11 election and said he expects to win. Many analysts regard him as the frontrunner.
“We expect a significant victory,” he said, adding he wanted a second term. “We want to keep going on this path.”
Sudani said he believed this year’s elections would see a higher turnout than last year’s roughly 40 percent in parliamentary polls, which was down from around 80 percent two decades ago.
Sudani campaigns as Iraq’s builder-in-chief
He has portrayed himself as the builder-in-chief, his campaign posters strategically laid out at key sites of Baghdad construction, including a new dual-carriageway along the Tigris in the center of the capital.
He ticks off the number of incomplete projects he inherited from previous governments – 2,582, he said — and notes he spent a fraction of their initial cost to finish them.
Many Iraqis have been positive about the roads, bridges and buildings they have seen go up, helping to somewhat alleviate the choking traffic in the city.
But it has come at a cost.
Sudani’s three-year budget was the largest in Iraq’s history at over $150 billion a year.
He also hired about 1 million employees into the already-bloated state bureaucracy, buying social stability at the cost of severely limiting the government’s fiscal room for maneuver.
“I am not worried about Iraq’s financial and economic situation. Iraq is a rich country with many resources, but my fear is that the implementation of reforms is delayed,” he said.