Israeli strike kills one in south Lebanon: health ministry

An Israeli strike on a main highway in southern Lebanon killed one person Monday, the Lebanese health ministry said, as Israel intensifies attacks on its northern neighbour. (AFP)
An Israeli strike on a main highway in southern Lebanon killed one person Monday, the Lebanese health ministry said, as Israel intensifies attacks on its northern neighbour. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 25 min 8 sec ago
Follow

Israeli strike kills one in south Lebanon: health ministry

Israeli strike kills one in south Lebanon: health ministry
  • An Israeli strike on a main highway in southern Lebanon killed one person Monday, the Lebanese health ministry said, as Israel intensifies attacks on its northern neighbor

BEIRUT: An Israeli strike on a main highway in southern Lebanon killed one person Monday, the Lebanese health ministry said, as Israel intensifies attacks on its northern neighbor.
Over the weekend, strikes killed five other people, with Israel accusing its Iran-backed foe Hezbollah of rearming.
“An Israeli strike on a car in the area of Baissariyeh killed one person,” the health ministry said Monday.
An AFP journalist saw a bombed out car on the road linking the cities of Sidon and Tyre, with traffic piling up as rescuers worked to retrieve the remains.
Despite a ceasefire in place since November 2024, Israel has kept up attacks on Lebanon, where it continues to hold five positions.
The European Union on Saturday joined a growing chorus of condemnation of Israel’s intensified strikes, urging “to cease all actions that violate... the ceasefire agreement reached a year ago.”
It came after Lebanese President Joseph Aoun accused Israel of rebuffing its overtures for diplomacy.


Palestinian sues EU after dismissal from Gaza border role

Palestinian sues EU after dismissal from Gaza border role
Updated 10 November 2025
Follow

Palestinian sues EU after dismissal from Gaza border role

Palestinian sues EU after dismissal from Gaza border role
  • European employees ‘transferred’ rather than sacked when Rafah offices closed 
  • Lawyer: This is tantamount to ‘discrimination on the basis of his nationality’

LONDON: The EU is being sued by a Palestinian who lost his job in Gaza after the outbreak of the war.

Mohammed Baraka worked in Rafah at the EU border assistance mission, where he had been employed since 2006.

He was evacuated to Cairo after the outbreak of the conflict in October 2023, but was dismissed this year after the EU decided to close its Rafah offices permanently.

Baraka is taking the bloc to court in Belgium on the grounds that European EUBam employees from Rafah “were transferred elsewhere” rather than dismissed.

His lawyer Selma Benkhelifa said this is tantamount to “discrimination on the basis of his nationality.”

In a submission to the court, Benkhelifa said Baraka “does not criticise the decision to close the Rafah office” as “the security situation justifies this.”

However, Baraka said he was employed under Belgian law and was handed rolling one-year contracts, which breaches Belgian legislation that states rolling roles must be made permanent after three consecutive years. He added that he is bringing the case to address the “injustice” he suffered as a result.

The lawsuit states: “A provision that allows an employer to renew fixed-term contracts is contrary to Belgian and European public policy.”

It adds: “It is shocking to note that a European institution is circumventing public policy provisions intended to protect workers. The applicant’s contract must be reclassified as a permanent contract.”

Baraka said: “During the first days of the war in Gaza, I was, like all other residents of Gaza, facing an unknown and frightening fate.

“When I was offered evacuation by the EU to a safe place, as an EU employee who had served for 20 years, I accepted the offer.

“But had I known that my fate would be dismissal from my job and being left in a place with no residence or basic human rights, I would have never agreed to it. None of this was explained to me beforehand.”