Pope Leo decries Sudan violence, urges dialogue and relief effort

Pope Leo decries Sudan violence, urges dialogue and relief effort
Pope Leo called on the international community to act “decisively and generously” to support relief efforts. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 02 November 2025
Follow

Pope Leo decries Sudan violence, urges dialogue and relief effort

Pope Leo decries Sudan violence, urges dialogue and relief effort
  • Pontiff appeals for an immediate ceasefire and the opening of humanitarian corridors in Sudan

VATICAN CITY: Pope Leo on Sunday appealed for an immediate ceasefire and the opening of humanitarian corridors in Sudan, saying he was following with “great sorrow” reports of terrible brutality in the city of El-Fasher in Darfur.

“Indiscriminate violence against women and children, attacks on defenseless civilians and serious obstacles to humanitarian action are causing unacceptable suffering,” the pope said during his weekly Angelus address to crowds in St. Peter’s Square.

He called on the international community to act “decisively and generously” to support relief efforts.

The UN human rights office said on Friday that hundreds of civilians and unarmed fighters may have been killed late last month when the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces captured El-Fasher, the Sudanese army’s last major holdout in Darfur.

The city fell a week ago after an 18-month siege, prompting tens of thousands to flee.

Pope Leo also addressed the situation in Tanzania on Sunday, saying there had been clashes with numerous casualties after recent national elections. He urged all sides to avoid violence and “walk the path of dialogue.”


Sudan army-backed council to meet on US truce proposal: government source

Sudan army-backed council to meet on US truce proposal: government source
Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

Sudan army-backed council to meet on US truce proposal: government source

Sudan army-backed council to meet on US truce proposal: government source
  • Sudan’s army-backed security and defense council is set to meet Tuesday to consider a US-backed truce proposal, a government source told AFP
PORT SUDAN: Sudan’s army-backed security and defense council is set to meet Tuesday to consider a US-backed truce proposal, a government source told AFP, just over a week after paramilitaries overran the key city of El-Fasher.
“The Security and Defense Council will hold a meeting today to discuss the US truce proposal,” the source said on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to brief the media.