Libya detains education minister over textbook scandal

Libya detains education minister over textbook scandal
The 2025-2026 school year began over a month late in Libya, with the parents of nearly 2.6 million students who lacked books forced to shell out for photocopies. In Libyan public schools, textbooks are provided free of charge through the end of secondary school, paid for through a special allocation in the education ministry budget. (Photo by Mahmud Turkia / AFP)
Short Url
Updated 02 November 2025
Follow

Libya detains education minister over textbook scandal

Libya detains education minister over textbook scandal
  • Libyan prosecutors have announced they are detaining the country’s education minister for negligence over a scandal involving school textbooks

TRIPOLI: Libyan prosecutors have announced they are detaining the country’s education minister for negligence over a scandal involving school textbooks.
The minister, Ali Al-Abed, is serving in an interim capacity after taking over from Moussa Al-Megarief, who was himself sentenced in March to three-and-a-half years in prison over a similar case involving a textbook shortage.
The prosecutor general’s office said in a statement Saturday night that it had ordered the preventative detention of Abed and the head of the ministry’s school programs department “pending an investigation into harm to the public interest and violation of the right to education.”
Both Abed’s case and that of his predecessor have drawn intense public attention in Libya.
The prosecutors said the investigation into Abed concerned the granting of contracts to print books for the current school year, and had found “irregularities in the administrative and financial procedures” surrounding such contracts.
It also revealed a “lapse in the duty to provide the textbooks to two million students on time,” they added.
The 2025-2026 school year began over a month late in Libya, with the parents of nearly 2.6 million students who lacked books forced to shell out for photocopies.
In Libyan public schools, textbooks are provided free of charge through the end of secondary school, paid for through a special allocation in the education ministry budget.


Survivors from Sudan’s El-Fasher recount escape

Survivors from Sudan’s El-Fasher recount escape
Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Survivors from Sudan’s El-Fasher recount escape

Survivors from Sudan’s El-Fasher recount escape
  • As many as 200,000 people may still be trapped inside the city, according to estimates of the city’s population toward the end of the siege

TAWILA, Sudan: At a clinic in Sudan’s North Darfur where dozens of bony children lie on cots and men with bandaged wounds await surgery, patients described a desperate escape from the city of El-Fasher as it was captured last week by a paramilitary force.

They are among up to 10,000 people who arrived in the town of Tawila after fleeing the capture of nearby El-Fasher by the Rapid Support Forces, and are now being treated at the clinic run by international aid agency Medecins Sans Frontieres.

In addition to those who reached Tawila, more than 60,000 others are believed to have escaped El-Fasher, according to the International Organization for Migration, though their whereabouts are unclear. As many as 200,000 people may still be trapped inside the city, according to estimates of the city’s population toward the end of the siege. 

The dire conditions inside El-Fasher were described by two patients at the MSF clinic, in accounts obtained by a local journalist who has previously provided verified material for Reuters.

One, who gave her name as Fatuma, said she was entrusted with the care of three children orphaned when their parents and brother had been killed by a drone strike as they fetched a meal.

Fatuma took the children out of the city on a donkey cart with other injured people just before El-Fasher fell, but came across RSF soldiers on the road. 

“They made us lay the baby on the ground and made all of us get down on the ground, and took everything we had,” she said. She was eventually able to bring the baby to the MSF clinic.

A second patient, Abdallah, said he had escaped El-Fasher amidst intense shelling and gunfire on the day of the takeover.

“People left in chaos, carrying children, some in wheelbarrows, some on donkey carts, some on their feet,” he said. “No one walking around was untouched, everyone was injured.” Abdallah, awaiting surgery in the MSF clinic after being shot multiple times, said he saw what he estimated to be more than 1,000 bodies on the road.