One killed in Israeli strike in south Lebanon

One killed in Israeli strike in south Lebanon
Israel carried out the attack with a missile fired from a drone, Lebanese media reported. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 24 October 2025
Follow

One killed in Israeli strike in south Lebanon

One killed in Israeli strike in south Lebanon
  • Israel claims it killed Hezbollah logistics commander Abbas Hassan Karky
  • He was targeted by an Israeli drone with a guided missile driving, Lebanese media reports

BEIRUT: An Israeli air strike killed one person in southern Lebanon on Friday, state media reported, with Israel’s military saying the man was a Hezbollah “logistics commander.”
According to Lebanon’s official National News Agency (NNA), the man “was targeted by an Israeli drone with a guided missile while he was driving” along the road to the village of Toul, not far from Nabatieh.
It identified the slain man as Abbas Hassan Karky.
In a statement, the Israeli army said it “struck and eliminated” Karky, calling him “the logistics commander of Hezbollah’s Southern Front headquarters.”
The military said Karky had “led efforts to rebuild Hezbollah’s combat capabilities” following last year’s war with Israel, and that he had also been responsible “for managing the transfer and storage of weapons in southern Lebanon.”
Israel has repeatedly bombed Lebanon despite the November 2024 truce that sought to end more than a year of hostilities with Hezbollah that culminated in two months of open war.
The latest attack comes a day after Israeli strikes on southern and eastern Lebanon killed four people, including an elderly woman.
The Israeli army said on Thursday that it “struck several terrorist targets,” including “a camp used for training Hezbollah militants.”
As part of that ceasefire deal, Israeli troops were to withdraw from southern Lebanon and Hezbollah was to pull back north of the Litani river and dismantle any military infrastructure in the south.
Under US pressure and fearing an escalation of Israeli strikes, the Lebanese government has moved to begin disarming Hezbollah, a plan the movement and its allies oppose.
During a meeting on Thursday with US General Joseph Clearfield, the head of the ceasefire monitoring committee, Prime Minister Nawaf Salam stated that “Lebanon is committed to completing the arms monopoly process south of the Litani River before the end of the year.”
He demanded, in return, that Israel fulfil “its duties and obligations to withdraw from occupied Lebanese territories and cease its ongoing attacks.”
Despite the terms of the truce, Israel has kept troops deployed in five border points it deems strategic.


Hospital officials in Gaza say they have received the bodies of 15 Palestinians returned from Israel

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Hospital officials in Gaza say they have received the bodies of 15 Palestinians returned from Israel

Hospital officials in Gaza say they have received the bodies of 15 Palestinians returned from Israel
JERUSALEM: Israel said on Saturday that the remains of a hostage returned from Gaza the previous night belong to an Israeli man who died while fighting Hamas in the militants’ Oct. 7, 2023 attack that started the war.
The identification marked another step forward for the tenuous, US-brokered ceasefire. The hostage body was identified as that of Lior Rudaeff, according to a statement from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu ‘s office.
The Hostages and Missing Families Forum said Rudaeff was born in Argentina and moved to Kibbutz Nir Yitzhak, a farming community in southern Israel, as a child. He volunteered for more than 40 years as an ambulance driver and was a member of the community’s emergency response team.
The forum said he was killed in the Hamas-led attack and that his body was taken to Gaza.
Since the ceasefire took effect on Oct. 10, Palestinian militants have released the remains of 23 hostages, including Rudaeff’s body, with five still remaining in Gaza.
As part of the deal, Israel has returned the remains of 15 Palestinians for each Israeli hostage.
So far, Israel has handed over the bodies of 285 Palestinians, the Red Cross and Gaza’s Health Ministry say. Health officials in Gaza have struggled to identify the bodies without access to DNA kits and have identified 84 of the bodies.
Under the terms of the US-brokered ceasefire, Israel is supposed to allow substantially more aid into Gaza.
However, relief efforts under the pact still fall well short of what is needed in Gaza, according to Farhan Haqq, deputy spokesperson for the United Nations. More than 200,000 metric tons in aid is positioned to move into Gaza, but only 37,000 tons, mostly food, have been admitted, he said.
The 2023 Hamas-led attack on southern Israel killed about 1,200 people and saw 251 taken hostage. Israel’s sweeping military offensive has killed more than 68,800 Palestinians in Gaza, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry. The ministry, part of the Hamas-run government and staffed by medical professionals, maintains detailed records viewed as generally reliable by independent experts.