Food flows into Gaza still far below targets, WFP says

Update Food flows into Gaza still far below targets, WFP says
Displaced Palestinians carry boxes of food supplies that entered Gaza in the morning after receiving it from an aid distribution point at the Nuseirat refugee camp in the central Gaza Strip, on October 20, 2025. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 21 October 2025
Follow

Food flows into Gaza still far below targets, WFP says

Food flows into Gaza still far below targets, WFP says
  • Food flows into Gaza still far below targets, World Food Programme says
  • “We haven’t had large-scale convoys into Gaza City or to the north of Gaza“

GENEVA: The UN World Food Programme said on Tuesday that supplies into Gaza were ramping up after the US-brokered ceasefire but were still far short of its daily target of 2,000 tons because only two crossings are open, and none to the famine-hit north of the enclave.
Around 750 metric tons of food are now entering the Gaza Strip daily, according to the WFP, but this was still well below the scale of needs after two years of conflict between Israel and Hamas that has reduced much of Gaza to ruins.
“To be able to get to this scale-up, we have to use every border crossing point right now,” WFP spokesperson Abeer Etefa told a Geneva press briefing.

NOT ALL CROSSINGS OPEN
She said only two of the Israeli-controlled crossings into Gaza were operational — Kerem Shalom in the south and Kissufim in the center.
The ceasefire plan brokered by US President Donald Trump envisages “full aid” being sent into Gaza. An Israeli security official said that humanitarian aid continues to enter through the Kerem Shalom crossing and additional crossings in accordance with the plan, without naming them.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Saturday the Rafah border crossing between Gaza and Egypt will remain closed until further notice, with its reopening dependent on Hamas handing over bodies of deceased hostages.
The UN children’s agency spokesperson Ricardo Pires said on Tuesday the humanitarian response was still far below the required scale and called for all entry points to reopen.
Some nutrition supplies for children and pregnant women have reached the north via the south, Etefa said, but far short of the level required.
NO ACCESS TO ROAD RUNNING LENGTH OF GAZA
“We haven’t had large-scale convoys into Gaza City or to the north of Gaza,” she said, adding that WFP had not been granted permission to use the main north-south Salah Al-Din road.
Food supplies delivered so far are enough to feed around half a million people for two weeks, she said.
Many Gazans were storing the food they are receiving because they are afraid that supplies might again dry up.
“They eat part of it, and they ration and keep some of the supplies for an emergency, because they are not very confident how long the ceasefire will last and what will happen next,” she said.


Israel receives the body of another deceased buried by Hamas in Gaza

Israel receives the body of another deceased buried by Hamas in Gaza
Updated 05 November 2025
Follow

Israel receives the body of another deceased buried by Hamas in Gaza

Israel receives the body of another deceased buried by Hamas in Gaza
  • Israel returned 270 Palestinian bodies
  • Hamas hands over the body of another hostage

CAIRO: Israel on Tuesday received a body from Hamas via the Red Cross in Gaza, the Prime Minister’s Office said, after the Palestinian group reported it had found the remains of an Israeli hostage to be handed over. The office confirmed the body was that of Staff Sergeant Itay Chen following an identification process.
Hamas said it had found the body of a hostage who had been held by Palestinian militants in Shejaia, an eastern suburb of Gaza City in an area still occupied by Israeli forces, after Israel granted access to the location for teams from Hamas and the International Committee of the Red Cross.
Under a ceasefire deal that took effect on October 10, Hamas turned over all 20 living hostages held in Gaza in return for nearly 2,000 Palestinian convicts and wartime detainees held in Israel. Hamas also promised to turn over the remains of deceased hostages but says Gaza’s war devastation has made locating bodies difficult. Israel accuses Hamas of stalling.
Including Chen, Hamas has returned 21 of the 28 bodies of hostages that were buried in Gaza. In return, Israel handed over 270 bodies of Palestinians it had killed since the war began in October 2023, Gaza health authorities said.
Hamas-led militants killed 1,200 people and took 251 hostages in their cross-border attack on Israel on October 7, 2023, according to Israeli tallies. Israel’s retaliatory offensive in the Gaza Strip killed over 68,000 Palestinians, health officials in the enclave say.
Chen was serving as a soldier when Hamas carried out the surprise rampage through southern Israeli towns and military bases.
The US-brokered ceasefire has broadly held through repeated incidents of violence. Palestinian health authorities say Israeli forces have killed 239 people in strikes since the truce took effect, nearly half of them in a single day last week when Israel retaliated for a militant attack on its troops.
Israel says three of its soldiers have been killed and it has targeted scores of militants it says have approached lines behind which Israeli troops have withdrawn under the truce.
Earlier on Tuesday, Gaza health authorities said Israeli fire killed a man in Jabalia in northern Gaza. Israel’s military said it killed a “terrorist” who crossed into areas the army continues to occupy and posed an imminent threat.