First EU-Egypt summit to focus on economic ties, migration and Gaza

First EU-Egypt summit to focus on economic ties, migration and Gaza
In this photo provided by Egypt's Presidency Media Office, Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi, and President of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen. (Egyptian Presidency Media Office via File)
Short Url
Updated 22 October 2025
Follow

First EU-Egypt summit to focus on economic ties, migration and Gaza

First EU-Egypt summit to focus on economic ties, migration and Gaza
  • Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi and European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen, and European Council President António Costa are slated to discuss at the EU-Egypt Summit security

BRUSSELS: Egypt and the European Union will hold their first bilateral talks Wednesday in Brussels where leaders will discuss security, trade and migration as well as stability in Gaza.
Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen and European Council President António Costa are expected to announce increased European economic assistance to Egypt and Egypt’s admission to the EU’s Horizons research incubation program.
The summit comes as the 27-nation bloc has sought to forge new trade and security deals amidst geopolitical tumult sparked by the combative policies of US President Donald Trump and export controls from Chinese President Xi Jinping.
Part of its approach is a so-called Pact for the Mediterranean in which the EU seeks deeper integration with countries from Morocco to Turkiye, including offering European aid in exchange for efforts to slow migration to Europe.
Egypt is weathering soaring inflation, as well as instability from the still-smoldering war in neighboring Gaza.
El-Sisi told Costa and other world leaders last week that Trump’sMideast proposal represents the “last chance” for peace in the region and reiterated his call for a two-state solution, saying Palestinians have the right to an independent state.
The EU is Egypt’s largest trading partner. During the signing of a joint declaration last year, Brussels announced a 7.4 billion euros ($8.6 billion) aid package for cash-strapped Egypt in the form of loans, investment and support for specific programs like migration.
The deal injected much-needed funds into the Egyptian economy, which has been hit hard by years of government austerity, the coronavirus pandemic, the fallout from Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine and most recently, the Israel-Hamas war in Gaza. Houthi attacks on shipping routes in the Red Sea have also slashed Suez Canal revenues, which is a major source for foreign currency, by forcing traffic away from the canal and around the tip of Africa.
Both Brussels and Cairo have serious concerns over migration.
Arrivals of asylum-seekers and other migrants fleeing conflict and poverty in the Middle East and Africa for Europe over the past decade helped fuel rising far-right populism and led to stricter border controls that have drawn heavy criticism from human rights groups.
El-Sisi should press the EU to do more for Gaza, said Eve Geddie, director of Amnesty International’s European Institutions Office. At the same time, Von der Leyen and Costa should press the former military leader to stop “rampant arbitrary detentions, unfair trials and harsh prison sentences of critics,” she said.
Egypt faces its own migration pressures. While in recent years it has become a point of transit for those attempting the dangerous Mediterranean Sea crossing to Europe, Egypt has for decades been a refuge for migrants from sub-Saharan Africa trying to escape armed conflict and crippling poverty.
Egypt, whose population is 116 million, says there are 9 million migrants in the country, including about 900,000 who are registered refugees and asylum-seekers with the UN refugee agency.
El-Sisi is also expected to meet King Philippe I of Belgium during his visit.


UN Security Council lifts sanctions on Syrian President Ahmad Al-Sharaa

UN Security Council lifts sanctions on Syrian President Ahmad Al-Sharaa
Updated 19 min 35 sec ago
Follow

UN Security Council lifts sanctions on Syrian President Ahmad Al-Sharaa

UN Security Council lifts sanctions on Syrian President Ahmad Al-Sharaa
  • Resolution tabled by the US, which also delists Interior Minister Anas Hasan Khattab, is adopted with 14 votes in favor, none opposed; China abstains
  • US envoy to UN Mike Waltz says council is sending ‘a strong political signal that recognizes Syria is in a new era’ after fall of Assad regime last December

NEW YORK CITY: The UN Security Council voted on Thursday to lift sanctions on Ahmad Al-Sharaa, effectively removing the Syrian president from the Daesh and Al-Qaeda Sanctions List in a move widely seen as signaling international recognition of the post-Assad political order in Syria.

Resolution 2729 was tabled by the US and adopted with 14 votes in favor, zero against and one abstention, by China. It also delists the Syrian interior minister, Anas Hasan Khattab, who was previously designated under the same sanctions regime.

Acting under Chapter VII of the UN Charter, the council declared on Thursday that both officials were no longer subject to asset freezes or travel bans imposed under previous counterterrorism measures.

Al-Sharaa arrived in Belem, Brazil, on Thursday for the 2025 UN Climate Change Conference, COP 30, and is due to meet US President Donald Trump at the White House in Washington on Monday.

Al-Sharaa led the Hayat Tahrir Al-Sham coalition during the December 2024 offensive that toppled the Assad regime, after which he became the de facto leader of Syria.

Washington had been urging the 15-member Security Council for months to ease sanctions on Syria and officials within its new government.

The US permanent representative to the UN, Mike Waltz, said that by adopting the resolution the council was sending “a strong political signal that recognizes Syria is in a new era since Assad and his associates were toppled in December 2024.”

He added: “There is a new Syrian government in place, led by President Ahmad Al-Sharaa, that is working hard to fulfill its commitments on countering terrorism and narcotics, on eliminating any remnants of chemical weapons, and promoting regional security and stability, as well as an inclusive Syrian-led and Syrian-owned political process.

“As President Trump previously indicated, now is Syria’s chance at greatness.”

In making its decision, the Security Council recalled a series of previous resolutions targeting Daesh, Al-Qaeda and affiliated groups, and reaffirmed its “strong commitment to the sovereignty, independence, territorial integrity and national unity of the Syrian Arab Republic.”

The text of the resolution, seen by Arab News, emphasized that the delisting of the Syrian officials was consistent with efforts to promote “the long-term reconstruction, stability and economic development” of the country, while maintaining the integrity of the global framework for counterterrorism sanctions.

The resolution specifically welcomed the commitment of the Syrian Arab Republic to: ensuring “full, safe, rapid and unhindered humanitarian access” in line with international humanitarian law; to countering terrorism, including foreign terrorist fighters, and individuals, groups, undertakings and entities affiliated with Daesh or Al-Qaeda; to the protection of human rights and ensuring the safety and security of all Syrians, regardless of ethnicity or religion; to counter-narcotics efforts; to the advancement of transitional justice; to the nonproliferation and elimination of remnants of chemical weapons; to regional security and stability; and to an inclusive, Syrian-led and Syrian-owned political process.

It expressed an expectation that Syrian authorities would adhere to these pledges and help to uphold regional stability.

Al-Sharaa was sanctioned by the UN in May 2014 when Hayat Tahrir Al-Sham, at the time affiliated with Al-Qaeda, was added to the Daesh and Al-Qaeda Sanctions List. The designation imposed a travel ban and asset freeze that would remain in place for more than a decade.

The Security Council’s vote on Thursday followed a decision by Washington in May to lift most of the US sanctions on Syria. Those measures, introduced in 1979 and expanded significantly after the Syrian civil war began in 2011, restricted trade, investment and energy exports. While the bulk of the restrictions have been lifted, some congressional measures remain in place pending further review.

By formally delisting Al-Sharaa, the Security Council resolution is viewed as marking a turning point in international engagement with the new authorities in Syria.

Diplomats described the move as both pragmatic recognition of the changed realities on the ground in the country, and an incentive for continued cooperation on the issues of humanitarian access, counterterrorism efforts and political reform.