No one could stop it: Sudanese describe mass rapes while fleeing El-Fasher

No one could stop it: Sudanese describe mass rapes while fleeing El-Fasher
A displaced Sudanese who fled El-Fasher after the city fell to the Rapid Support Forces (RSF), rest on a mat in the camp of Um Yanqur, located on the southwestern edge of Tawila, in western Darfur region. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 05 November 2025
Follow

No one could stop it: Sudanese describe mass rapes while fleeing El-Fasher

No one could stop it: Sudanese describe mass rapes while fleeing El-Fasher
  • Reports have emerged of mass killings, sexual violence, attacks on aid workers, looting and abductions in a city where communications have largely been cut off

TAWILA: Sudanese mother Amira wakes up every day trembling, haunted by scenes of mass rapes she saw while fleeing the western city of El-Fasher after it was overrun by paramilitaries.
Following an 18-month siege marked by starvation and bombardment, El-Fasher — the last army stronghold in the western Darfur region — fell on October 26 to the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), which have been at war with the military since April 2023.
Reports have since emerged of mass killings, sexual violence, attacks on aid workers, looting and abductions in a city where communications have largely been cut off.
“The rapes were gang rapes. Mass rape in public, rape in front of everyone and no one could stop it,” Amira said from a makeshift shelter in Tawila, some 70 kilometers (43 miles) west of El-Fasher.
The mother of four spoke during a webinar organized by campaign group Avaaz with several survivors of the recent violence.
Avaaz gave the survivors who participated in the webinar pseudonyms for their safety.
Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said more than 300 survivors of sexual violence had sought care from its teams in Tawila after a previous RSF assault on the nearby Zamzam camp, which displaced more than 380,000 people last spring.
“The RSF have carried out widespread sexual violence across towns and villages in Sudan to humiliate, assert control and to forcefully displace families and communities from their homes,” Amnesty International warned in April.
The rights group has documented conflict-related sexual violence by both the army and RSF — particularly in the capital Khartoum and Darfur — and denounced “over two decades of impunity for such crimes, particularly by the RSF.”

Nighttime assaults

In Korma, a village about 40 kilometers northwest of El-Fasher, Amira said she was detained for two days because she could not pay RSF fighters for safe passage.
Those unable to pay, she said, were denied food, water and the ability to leave, and mass assaults took place at night.
“You’d be asleep and they’d come and rape you,” she said.
“I saw with my own eyes people who couldn’t afford to pay and the fighters took their daughters instead.
“They said, ‘Since you can’t pay, we’ll take the girls.’ If you had daughters of a young age, they would take them immediately.”
Sudan’s state minister for social welfare, Sulimah Ishaq, told AFP that 300 women were killed on the day El-Fasher fell, “some after being sexually assaulted.”
The General Coordination for Displaced People and Refugees in Darfur, an independent humanitarian group, had documented 150 cases of sexual violence since the fall of El-Fasher until November 1.
“Some incidents occurred in El-Fasher and others during the journey to Tawila,” Adam Rojal, the organization’s spokesman, told AFP.

Raped at gunpoint

Last week, the UN confirmed alarming reports that at least 25 women were gang-raped when RSF forces entered a shelter for displaced people near El-Fasher University in the city’s west.
“Witnesses confirmed that RSF personnel selected women and girls and raped them at gunpoint,” Seif Magango, spokesperson for the UN human rights office, said in Geneva.
Mohamed, another survivor who joined the Avaaz webinar from Tawila, described how women and girls of all ages were searched and humiliated in Garni, a town between El-Fasher and Tawila.
“If they found nothing on you, they beat you. They searched the girls, even tearing apart their (sanitary) pads,” he said.
In Garni, before reaching Korma, Amira said that RSF leaders would “greet people,” but as soon as they left, the fighters who stayed behind began torturing them.
“They start categorising you: ‘You were married to a soldier.’ ‘You were affiliated with the army,’” she said.
She also described seeing men slaughtered with knives by RSF fighters. “My 12-year-old son saw it himself, and he is now in a bad psychological state,” she said.
“We wake up shivering from fear, images of slaughter haunt us.”
More than 65,000 people have fled El-Fasher since its fall, including more than 5,000 who are now sheltering in Tawila, which was already hosting more than 650,000 displaced people, according to the UN.
In Tawila, hundreds of people have huddled together in makeshift tents in a vast desert expanse, scrounging together what they can to prepare food for their families, AFP video shows.
Rojal of the General Coordination for Displaced People and Refugees in Darfur warned that the situation “needs immediate intervention.”
“People need food, water, medicine, shelter and psychological support,” he said.


What’s at stake in Iraq’s parliamentary election

What’s at stake in Iraq’s parliamentary election
Updated 58 min 7 sec ago
Follow

What’s at stake in Iraq’s parliamentary election

What’s at stake in Iraq’s parliamentary election
  • The outcome of the vote will influence whether Prime Minister Mohammed Shia Al-Sudani can serve a second term

BAGHDAD: Iraqis are preparing to vote in a parliamentary election that comes at a crucial moment in the country and the region.
The vote will begin Sunday with polling for members of the security forces and displaced people living in camps, and the general election is set for Tuesday.
The outcome of the vote will influence whether Prime Minister Mohammed Shia Al-Sudani can serve a second term.
The election comes amid fears of another war between Israel and Iran and potential Israeli or US strikes on Iran-backed groups in Iraq. Baghdad seeks to maintain a delicate balance in its relations with Tehran and Washington amid increasing pressure from the Trump administration over the presence of Iran-linked armed groups.
Here’s a look at what to expect in the upcoming vote.
Iraq’s electoral system
This year’s election will be the seventh since the US-led invasion of 2003 that unseated the country’s longtime strongman ruler, Saddam Hussein.
In the security vacuum after Saddam’s fall, the country fell into years of bloody civil war that saw the rise of extremist groups, including the Daesh group. But in recent years, the violence has subsided. Rather than security, the main concern of many Iraqis now is the lack of job opportunities and lagging public services — including regular power cuts despite the country’s energy wealth.
Under the law, 25 percent of the country’s 329 parliamentary seats must go to women, and nine seats are allocated for religious minorities. The position of speaker of Parliament is also assigned to a Sunni according to convention in Iraq’s post-2003 power-sharing system, while the prime minister is always Shiite and the president a Kurd.
Voter turnout has steadily fallen in recent elections. In the last parliamentary election in 2021, turnout was 41 percent, a record low in the post-Saddam era, down from 44 percent in the 2018 election, which at the time was an all-time low.
However, only 21.4 million out of a total of 32 million eligible voters have updated their information and obtained voter cards, a decrease from the last parliamentary election in 2021, when about 24 million voters registered.
Unlike past elections, there will be no polling stations outside of the country.
The main players
There are 7,744 candidates competing, most of them from a range of largely sectarian-aligned parties, in addition to some independents.
They include Shiite blocs led by former Prime Minister Nouri Al-Maliki, cleric Ammar Al-Hakim, and several linked to armed groups; competing Sunni factions led by former Parliament speaker Mohammed Al-Halbousi and current speaker Mahmoud Al-Mashhadani; and the two main Kurdish parties, the Kurdistan Democratic Party and the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan.
Several powerful, Iran-linked Shiite militias are participating in the election via associated political parties. They include the Kataib Hezbollah militia, with its Harakat Huqouq (Rights Movement) bloc, and the Sadiqoun Bloc led by the leader of the Asaib Ahl Al-Haq militia, Qais Al-Khazali.
However, one of the most prominent players in the country’s politics is sitting the election out.
The popular Sadrist Movement, led by influential Shiite cleric Muqtada Al-Sadr, is boycotting. Al-Sadr’s bloc won the largest number of seats in the 2021 election but later withdrew after failed negotiations over forming a government, amid a standoff with rival Shiite parties. He has since boycotted the political system.
The Sadrist stronghold of Sadr City on the outskirts of Baghdad is home to roughly 40 percent of Baghdad’s population and has long played a decisive role in shaping the balance of power among Shiite factions.
But in the run-up to this election, the usually vibrant streets were almost entirely devoid of campaign posters or banners. Instead, a few signs calling for an election boycott could be seen.
Meanwhile, some reformist groups emerging from mass anti-government protests that began in October 2019 are participating but have been bogged down by internal divisions and lack of funding and political support.
Concerns about the process
There have been widespread allegations of corruption and vote-buying ahead of the election, and 848 candidates were disqualified by election officials, sometimes for obscure reasons such as allegedly insulting religious rituals or members of the armed forces.
Past elections in Iraq were often marred by political violence, including assassinations of candidates, attacks on polling stations and clashes between supporters of different blocs.
While overall levels of violence have subsided, a candidate was also assassinated in the run-up to this year’s election.
On Oct. 15, Baghdad Provincial Council member Safaa Al-Mashhadani, a Sunni candidate in the Al-Tarmiya district north of the capital, was killed by a car bomb. Five suspects have been arrested in connection with the killing, which is being prosecuted as a terrorist act.
Al-Sudani seeks another term
Al-Sudani came to power in 2022 with the backing of a group of pro-Iran parties but has since sought to balance Iraq’s relations with Tehran and Washington. He has positioned himself as a pragmatist focused on improving public services.
While Iraq has seen relative stability during Al-Sudani’s first term, he does not have an easy path to a second one. Only one Iraqi prime minister, Maliki, has served more than one term since 2003.
The election outcome will not necessarily indicate whether or not Al-Sudani stays. In several past elections in Iraq, the bloc winning the most seats has not been able to impose its preferred candidate.
On one side, Al-Sudani faces disagreements with some leaders in the Shiite Coordination Framework bloc that brought him to power over control of state institutions. On the other side, he faces increasing pressure from the US to control the country’s militias.
A matter of particular contention has been the fate of the Popular Mobilization Forces, a coalition of militias that formed to fight the Daesh group. It was formally placed under the control of the Iraqi military in 2016 but in practice still operates with significant autonomy. Members of the PMF will be voting alongside Iraqi army soldiers and other security forces on Saturday.