Lebanon Christian leader says Hezbollah must disarm ‘as soon as possible’

Lebanon Christian leader says Hezbollah must disarm ‘as soon as possible’
Samir Geagea, head of the Lebanese Forces and parliament's main Christian bloc, listens to a question during an interview with AFP at his residence in Maarab, north of Beirut. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 08 October 2025
Follow

Lebanon Christian leader says Hezbollah must disarm ‘as soon as possible’

Lebanon Christian leader says Hezbollah must disarm ‘as soon as possible’
  • A longtime opponent of Hezbollah, Geagea’s party has the largest number of MPs in Lebanon’s parliament
  • Geagea said Lebanese authorities must show greater “firmness” in implementing a state monopoly on weapons

MAARAB: Lebanon’s leading Christian politician, Samir Geagea, on Tuesday urged Hezbollah to surrender its weapons to the state “as soon as possible,” warning the Iran-backed group it has run out of options.
“Hezbollah has no choice but to hand over its weapons to the Lebanese state... because the state took this decision,” Geagea told AFP in an interview from his residence in Maarab, north of Beirut.
Iran-backed Hezbollah has come under mounting pressure to give up its arms since it was severely weakened by Israel last year, after intervening on the side of its Palestinian ally Hamas in the Gaza war.
Under intense US pressure and fearing expanded Israeli military action, the Lebanese government is seeking to disarm the group, and the army has begun implementing a plan to do so beginning in the country’s south.
“Hezbollah must certainly learn from what is currently happening with Hamas. This is an additional reason for it to hand over its weapons to the state as soon as possible,” Geagea, the head of the Lebanese Forces party, said.
Hamas and Israel are holding indirect talks in Egypt this week about US President Donald Trump’s 20-point proposal to end the devastating conflict in Gaza and build a roadmap for its post-war governance.
In October 2023, Hezbollah initiated cross-border hostilities with Israel in support of Hamas, culminating in two months of all-out war last year before a ceasefire was agreed in November.
The group suffered heavy losses, losing much of its top leadership, including leader Hassan Nasrallah.
“I don’t understand much of what they (Hezbollah) are doing... I didn’t understand the war in support (of Hamas),” Geagea said, adding it was “clear where it would lead.”

- ‘Outside the law’ -
A longtime opponent of Hezbollah, Geagea’s party has the largest number of MPs in Lebanon’s parliament.
The Lebanese Forces, like most major groups in Lebanon, surrendered its weapons following the end of the country’s 1975-1990 civil war.
Hezbollah was the only significant armed group to keep its weapons, doing so in the name of resistance against Israel which still occupied southern Lebanon at the time.
It has repeatedly rejected calls to lay down its arms.
Geagea said Lebanese authorities must show greater “firmness” in implementing a state monopoly on weapons.
He said Hezbollah’s opposition to disarmament “places it outside the political game and outside the law, and presents it as a rebel against the state.”
Geagea claimed that the real power over Hezbollah’s decision to disarm “rests with Iran,” which has long provided the group with money and weapons.
He argued that “the longer (Hezbollah) delays (disarming), the more it loses its ability to be a major political player” in Lebanon.
Before the war and the overthrow of its Syrian ally Bashar Assad shifted the balance of power in the region, Hezbollah was the most powerful political force in Lebanon, able to sway and disrupt governments and block the appointment of premiers and presidents.


UN Security Council lifts sanctions on Syrian President Ahmad Al-Sharaa

UN Security Council lifts sanctions on Syrian President Ahmad Al-Sharaa
Updated 07 November 2025
Follow

UN Security Council lifts sanctions on Syrian President Ahmad Al-Sharaa

UN Security Council lifts sanctions on Syrian President Ahmad Al-Sharaa
  • Resolution tabled by the US, which also delists Interior Minister Anas Hasan Khattab, is adopted with 14 votes in favor, none opposed; China abstains
  • US envoy to UN Mike Waltz says council is sending ‘a strong political signal that recognizes Syria is in a new era’ after fall of Assad regime last December

NEW YORK CITY: The UN Security Council voted on Thursday to lift sanctions on Ahmad Al-Sharaa, effectively removing the Syrian president from the Daesh and Al-Qaeda Sanctions List in a move widely seen as signaling international recognition of the post-Assad political order in Syria.

Resolution 2729 was tabled by the US and adopted with 14 votes in favor, zero against and one abstention, by China. It also delists the Syrian interior minister, Anas Hasan Khattab, who was previously designated under the same sanctions regime.

Acting under Chapter VII of the UN Charter, the council declared on Thursday that both officials were no longer subject to asset freezes or travel bans imposed under previous counterterrorism measures.

Al-Sharaa arrived in Belem, Brazil, on Thursday for the 2025 UN Climate Change Conference, COP 30, and is due to meet US President Donald Trump at the White House in Washington on Monday.

Al-Sharaa led the Hayat Tahrir Al-Sham coalition during the December 2024 offensive that toppled the Assad regime, after which he became the de facto leader of Syria.

Washington had been urging the 15-member Security Council for months to ease sanctions on Syria and officials within its new government.

The US permanent representative to the UN, Mike Waltz, said that by adopting the resolution the council was sending “a strong political signal that recognizes Syria is in a new era since Assad and his associates were toppled in December 2024.”

He added: “There is a new Syrian government in place, led by President Ahmad Al-Sharaa, that is working hard to fulfill its commitments on countering terrorism and narcotics, on eliminating any remnants of chemical weapons, and promoting regional security and stability, as well as an inclusive Syrian-led and Syrian-owned political process.

“As President Trump previously indicated, now is Syria’s chance at greatness.”

In making its decision, the Security Council recalled a series of previous resolutions targeting Daesh, Al-Qaeda and affiliated groups, and reaffirmed its “strong commitment to the sovereignty, independence, territorial integrity and national unity of the Syrian Arab Republic.”

The text of the resolution, seen by Arab News, emphasized that the delisting of the Syrian officials was consistent with efforts to promote “the long-term reconstruction, stability and economic development” of the country, while maintaining the integrity of the global framework for counterterrorism sanctions.

The resolution specifically welcomed the commitment of the Syrian Arab Republic to: ensuring “full, safe, rapid and unhindered humanitarian access” in line with international humanitarian law; to countering terrorism, including foreign terrorist fighters, and individuals, groups, undertakings and entities affiliated with Daesh or Al-Qaeda; to the protection of human rights and ensuring the safety and security of all Syrians, regardless of ethnicity or religion; to counter-narcotics efforts; to the advancement of transitional justice; to the nonproliferation and elimination of remnants of chemical weapons; to regional security and stability; and to an inclusive, Syrian-led and Syrian-owned political process.

It expressed an expectation that Syrian authorities would adhere to these pledges and help to uphold regional stability.

Al-Sharaa was sanctioned by the UN in May 2014 when Hayat Tahrir Al-Sham, at the time affiliated with Al-Qaeda, was added to the Daesh and Al-Qaeda Sanctions List. The designation imposed a travel ban and asset freeze that would remain in place for more than a decade.

The Security Council’s vote on Thursday followed a decision by Washington in May to lift most of the US sanctions on Syria. Those measures, introduced in 1979 and expanded significantly after the Syrian civil war began in 2011, restricted trade, investment and energy exports. While the bulk of the restrictions have been lifted, some congressional measures remain in place pending further review.

By formally delisting Al-Sharaa, the Security Council resolution is viewed as marking a turning point in international engagement with the new authorities in Syria.

Diplomats described the move as both pragmatic recognition of the changed realities on the ground in the country, and an incentive for continued cooperation on the issues of humanitarian access, counterterrorism efforts and political reform.