Golf legend Jack Nicklaus wins $50m verdict in defamation lawsuit against former business partners

Golf legend Jack Nicklaus wins $50m verdict in defamation lawsuit against former business partners
Jack Nicklaus joined Nicklaus Companies in 2007 as part of a $145 million deal, but Nicklaus eventually quit and planned to continue designing golf courses on his own. (USA Today Network via Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 22 October 2025
Follow

Golf legend Jack Nicklaus wins $50m verdict in defamation lawsuit against former business partners

Golf legend Jack Nicklaus wins $50m verdict in defamation lawsuit against former business partners
  • Six-person jury found that Nicklaus Companies had damaged the 18-time major champion’s reputation
  • Golfing legend exposed to ridicule, hatred, mistrust, distrust or contempt

A six-person jury in Palm Beach County found Monday that the Nicklaus Companies had damaged the 18-time major champion’s reputation and exposed him to ridicule, hatred, mistrust, distrust or contempt

According to the lawsuit, Nicklaus, 85, claimed Milstein, O’Brien and others at the company spread false stories that Nicklaus considered a $750 million deal to join the Saudi Arabia-backed LIV Golf League and that he was suffering from dementia

AP MIAMI: Professional golf legend Jack Nicklaus has won a $50 million verdict in a defamation lawsuit filed in Florida against his former business partners.

A six-person jury in Palm Beach County found Monday that the Nicklaus Companies had damaged the 18-time major champion’s reputation and exposed him to ridicule, hatred, mistrust, distrust or contempt. Nicklaus Companies owner and executive chairman Howard Milstein and executive Andrew O’Brien were also named individually as defendants, but jurors did not find them personally liable.

Eugene Stearns, an attorney for Nicklaus, said Nicklaus has spent his life helping others and earning a reputation as not just a great athlete but a great human being.

“He deserved better than what he got, and we’re pleased that the jury addressed the particular circumstances that were so annoying,” Stearns said.

According to the lawsuit, Nicklaus, 85, claimed Milstein, O’Brien and others at the company spread false stories that Nicklaus considered a $750 million deal to join the Saudi Arabia-backed LIV Golf League and that he was suffering from dementia and no longer mentally fit to manage his affairs.

Defense attorneys said at trial that Nicklaus Companies executives never tried to defame Nicklaus and argued the case was basically a business dispute. They said no harm was done to Nicklaus’ reputation, and there was no reason for a company that shared the golfer’s name to attack him.

Attorneys for Nicklaus Companies didn’t immediately respond to emails seeking comment Tuesday evening.

Earlier this year, a New York judge dismissed a lawsuit filed by Nicklaus Companies against Nicklaus that attempted to prevent the golfer from using his name, image and likeness to promote his golf course design business.

Nicklaus joined Nicklaus Companies in 2007 as part of a $145 million deal, but Nicklaus eventually quit and planned to continue designing golf courses on his own. While Nicklaus is once again free to design golf courses under his own name, Nicklaus Companies retains the rights to sell clothing and equipment with “Jack Nicklaus” logos.


South Africa's Brevis out of Pakistan ODIs with shoulder injury

South Africa's Brevis out of Pakistan ODIs with shoulder injury
Updated 04 November 2025
Follow

South Africa's Brevis out of Pakistan ODIs with shoulder injury

South Africa's Brevis out of Pakistan ODIs with shoulder injury
  • The 22-year-old hurt his shoulder during the third and final T20 international in Lahore on Saturday
  • Injuries have already ruled out regular captain Temba Bavuma, bowlers Kwena Maphaka and Gerald Coetzee

FAISALABAD: South Africa's depleted squad for the one-day international series against Pakistan took another hit on Tuesday, with dynamic batter Dewald Brevis sidelined due to a shoulder injury.

Cricket South Africa (CSA) said the 22-year-old hurt his shoulder during the third and final T20 international in Lahore on Saturday.

"Brevis has been ruled out of the three-match one-day international series against Pakistan due to a low-grade shoulder muscle strain and will now undergo rehabilitation," said a CSA statement.

His replacement for the ODI series will be announced in due course, it added.

Brevis featured in both the two-match Test series, which ended in a 1-1 draw, and the T20 series, which South Africa lost 2-1.

His absence adds to South Africa's growing injury list.

Regular captain Temba Bavuma, along with pace bowlers Kwena Maphaka and Gerald Coetzee, are already ruled out due to injuries. Opener Aiden Markram and frontline quicks Kagiso Rabada and Marco Jansen were rested for the series.

South Africa will be hoping Brevis recovers in time for their two-match Test series against India, starting November 14 in Kolkata.