Morocco’s Under-20 World Cup winners welcomed home by large crowds

Morocco’s Under-20 World Cup winners welcomed home by large crowds
1 / 3
Morocco players celebrate with the trophy after defeating Argentina in the FIFA U-20 World Cup final match in Santiago, Oct. 19, 2025. (AP)
Morocco’s Under-20 World Cup winners welcomed home by large crowds
2 / 3
Crowds cheer the Morocco under-20 team, Oct. 22, 2025, in Rabat, Morocco, during a parade celebrating them winning the under-20 World Cup tournament in Chile. (AP)
Morocco’s Under-20 World Cup winners welcomed home by large crowds
3 / 3
Crowds cheer the Morocco under-20 soccer team, Oct. 22, 2025, in Rabat, Morocco, during a parade celebrating them winning the under-20 World Cup tournament in Chile. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 22 October 2025
Follow

Morocco’s Under-20 World Cup winners welcomed home by large crowds

Morocco’s Under-20 World Cup winners welcomed home by large crowds
  • Morocco became the first Arab country to win the tournament
  • The players were driven through the streets of Rabat on an open-top bus

RABAT: The Moroccan team were greeted by thousands of fans in Rabat on Wednesday for a parade to celebrate their historic victory in the Under-20 World Cup last week.
Morocco became the first Arab country to win the tournament with a 2-0 triumph over favorites Argentina in Sunday’s final in Chilean capital Santiago.
Before the parade, Moroccan Crown Prince Moulay Hassan presided over a ceremony in honor of the team at the royal palace.
The players were then driven through the streets of Rabat on an open-top bus, to the delight of jubilant supporters and to the sound of vuvuzelas.
“It’s a great achievement, they filled us with joy and waved our country’s flag high,” Youssef, a 34-year-old salesman, told AFP.
Yassir Zabiri, who plays for Famalicao in Portugal, scored twice in the final to end the tournament as the joint top-scorer with five goals.
“The future of our football is in good hands. Well done guys, U20 world champions,” Paris Saint-Germain full-back Achraf Hakimi, who helped the senior team reach the 2022 World Cup semifinals, posted on social media.
Morocco will host the Africa Cup of Nations later this year and will be co-hosts of the 2030 World Cup with Spain and Portugal.


Global gaming business opens regional HQ and esports venue in Saudi Arabia

Global gaming business opens regional HQ and esports venue in Saudi Arabia
Updated 05 November 2025
Follow

Global gaming business opens regional HQ and esports venue in Saudi Arabia

Global gaming business opens regional HQ and esports venue in Saudi Arabia
  • ESL FACEIT Group describes new studio in Riyadh as premier event space of its kind, says it will help cement city’s status as a global leader in esports
  • ‘We are committed to supporting the Kingdom’s vision, tapping into its energetic, young population to fuel major growth,’ says CEO Niccolo Maisto

LONDON: ESL FACEIT Group, a video game entertainment and operations business, opened its new regional headquarters and flagship esports venue in Riyadh on Tuesday, a move it said furthers its commitment to the growth of esports in Saudi Arabia.

It described the studio, which covers more than 1,000 square meters and can accommodate more than 500 guests, as Riyadh’s premier event space of its kind and said it will help solidify the city’s status as a global capital for esports.

It will serve as a hub for esports fans and communities, EFG added, while hosting local tournaments, such as the ESL Saudi Challenge, and international competitions. With more than 300 square meters of LED screens, it said, the venue also offers comprehensive facilities for broadcasters, as well a venue for brand activations and other marketing and media events.

“We are committed to supporting the Kingdom’s vision, tapping into its energetic, young population to fuel major growth,” said CEO Niccolo Maisto.

“With the opening of our new regional headquarters, we are establishing a new stage for our most exciting competitions, while helping to drive key infrastructure and localized content.

“We firmly believe Riyadh is becoming the global capital of esports, and we’re honored to play a leading role.”

EFG said its investment in the new facility is expected to create professional pathways for the development of Saudi talent and creation of jobs across multiple functions, including broadcast production, content creation, and community and event management. This is in line with the aims of Saudi Arabia’s National Games and Esports Strategy to create 39,000 jobs and contribute SR 50 billion ($13.3 billion) to national gross domestic product by 2030.

Mohammed Alasiri, EFG’s director of human resources, said: “Walking into the new facility in Riyadh, I felt the energy of a new chapter and the opportunity for us, as Saudi talent, to shape the future of esports.

“This studio isn’t just a building; it’s a hub for local ambition, global standards and community growth.”

EFG was the official operating partner for the recent Esports World Cup in Riyadh, an eight-week event organizers described as the largest esports and gaming festival in the world. The business said that it has been developing tournament structures, anticheat software, live gaming events, and esports festivals for gamers and fans for more than 20 years, with a combined fan reach of 225 million.

Counter-Strike, a team-based multiplayer, tactical, first-person shooter, is one of the most popular games that feature in contests hosted by EFG, and its predecessor the ESL (Electronic Sports League). Others include Dota 2, League of Legends and Call of Duty.

“We were here for the past, we are doubling down on our investment for the present, and we are committed to building the future of esports” in Saudi Arabia, Maisto said.

“This studio is a physical testament to that commitment, allowing us to effectively bridge local Saudi audiences and competitions with our global fanbase and events, creating highly attractive, long-term engagement opportunities for international and local brands.”