Defeat in Jakarta prompted Saudi changes, says coach Renard

Defeat in Jakarta prompted Saudi changes, says coach Renard
Saudi Arabia coach Herve Renard during their FIFA World Cup — AFC Qualifiers — Group B — match against Indonesia at King Abdullah Sports City, Jeddah on Oct. 8, 2025. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 09 October 2025
Follow

Defeat in Jakarta prompted Saudi changes, says coach Renard

Defeat in Jakarta prompted Saudi changes, says coach Renard
  • “We know Indonesia is a good team, so we prepared for this game very well,” said Renard
  • “We also had revenge to take because we were very bad when we went to their home ground”

JEDDAH: Saudi Arabia coach Herve Renard said losing to Indonesia in Jakarta last year had been the spur to make the changes required to his squad that led them to seal a crucial victory over Patrick Kluivert’s side on Wednesday.
The Saudis moved a step closer to automatic qualification for the 2026 World Cup with a 3-2 victory over Indonesia in Jeddah as a new-look side avenged November’s 2-0 defeat to move to the top of Group B of qualifying.

The winners of the three-team group will progress directly to the finals in North America while the second placed finishers will advance to a further round of qualifying.
“We know Indonesia is a good team, so we prepared for this game very well,” said Renard. “We also had revenge to take because we were very bad when we went to their home ground.
“It was our fault, they put us under pressure and we didn’t manage to support the pressure. But it was also after this game I made some very important decisions, so maybe it was a good sign.”
One of Renard’s newest recruits, 23-year-old Saleh Abu Al-Shamat, scored Saudi Arabia’s equalizer on his second international appearance after Kevin Diks had put Indonesia ahead from the penalty spot.
Feras Al-Buraikan scored twice more for the Saudis before another Diks penalty late in the game briefly gave the Indonesians hope of salvaging a point.
Indonesia will next take on Iraq on Saturday before the Saudis face their Gulf neighbors on Tuesday with a World Cup place alongside Japan, South Korea, Australia, Iran, Uzbekistan and Jordan at stake.

“One World Cup in your football career is something you can’t miss, so everyone wants to go to the World Cup,” said Renard.
“Nobody will give us anything. We will have to fight up to the last second. It won’t be easy, the next game. We know it. It will, maybe, be more difficult but we are going to fight and we know also what we want. This is the most important thing.
“We stay concentrated, focus on ourselves and of course we will watch the game between Indonesia and Iraq. It will also be a tough game. Iraq are a good team, fighting a lot, playing well.
“This group is not finished. We have to do it by ourselves.”


South Africa's Brevis out of Pakistan ODIs with shoulder injury

South Africa's Brevis out of Pakistan ODIs with shoulder injury
Updated 04 November 2025
Follow

South Africa's Brevis out of Pakistan ODIs with shoulder injury

South Africa's Brevis out of Pakistan ODIs with shoulder injury
  • The 22-year-old hurt his shoulder during the third and final T20 international in Lahore on Saturday
  • Injuries have already ruled out regular captain Temba Bavuma, bowlers Kwena Maphaka and Gerald Coetzee

FAISALABAD: South Africa's depleted squad for the one-day international series against Pakistan took another hit on Tuesday, with dynamic batter Dewald Brevis sidelined due to a shoulder injury.

Cricket South Africa (CSA) said the 22-year-old hurt his shoulder during the third and final T20 international in Lahore on Saturday.

"Brevis has been ruled out of the three-match one-day international series against Pakistan due to a low-grade shoulder muscle strain and will now undergo rehabilitation," said a CSA statement.

His replacement for the ODI series will be announced in due course, it added.

Brevis featured in both the two-match Test series, which ended in a 1-1 draw, and the T20 series, which South Africa lost 2-1.

His absence adds to South Africa's growing injury list.

Regular captain Temba Bavuma, along with pace bowlers Kwena Maphaka and Gerald Coetzee, are already ruled out due to injuries. Opener Aiden Markram and frontline quicks Kagiso Rabada and Marco Jansen were rested for the series.

South Africa will be hoping Brevis recovers in time for their two-match Test series against India, starting November 14 in Kolkata.