Former F1 driver Felipe Massa brings $85m claim over 2008 title loss to London court

Former F1 driver Felipe Massa brings $85m claim over 2008 title loss to London court
Former F1 driver Felipe Massa holds an umbrella near the High Court, where he is suing the governing FIA and former F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone, claiming he was the rightful 2008 world champion due to the Crashgate scandal at the Singapore Grand Prix, in London, Oct. 29, 2025. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 29 October 2025
Follow

Former F1 driver Felipe Massa brings $85m claim over 2008 title loss to London court

Former F1 driver Felipe Massa brings $85m claim over 2008 title loss to London court
  • Lawyers for the defendants applied Wednesday for the case to be thrown out.
  • Massa, who never won a drivers’ title, believes he was the rightful winner in 2008

LONDON: Felipe Massa’s claim for $85 million in a legal case against Formula One was described in court Wednesday as a “misguided attempt” to reopen the 2008 drivers’ championship that he lost to Lewis Hamilton.
Hamilton’s first F1 title is the subject of civil action in London brought by the Brazilian against former F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone, Formula One Management and the FIA governing body.
Lawyers for the defendants applied Wednesday for the case to be thrown out.
Massa, who never won a drivers’ title, believes he was the rightful winner in 2008. He missed it by a single point after a deliberate crash at the Singapore Grand Prix.
The Renault team staged a win for Fernando Alonso by ordering Nelson Piquet Jr. to crash. That brought out a safety car and led to Massa finishing 13th after his strategy was compromised.
Piquet revealed the next season he had been told by team bosses to crash deliberately.
Ecclestone, the longtime F1 boss before being ousted in 2017, suggested two years ago the sport’s executives were aware of the cover-up during the 2008 campaign.
Massa was at the High Court to bring claims for breach of contract or duty and loss of earnings and sponsorship. His lawyers say Ecclestone knew the crash was deliberate and that he and the FIA failed to investigate it.
In written submissions, Ecclestone’s lawyer David Quest said Massa’s claims “are a misguided attempt to reopen the results of the 2008 F1 drivers’ championship.”
Representing the FIA, John Mehrzad said Massa’s claim “conspicuously overlooks a catalogue of his own errors.”
Massa’s lawyer Nick De Marco argued the case should go to a full trial with “a real prospect of succeeding on all of the grounds.”
The hearing before a single judge is due to end Friday. A ruling is likely at a later date.


Sabalenka dumps Gauff as semi-final lineup is set for WTA Finals in Riyadh

Sabalenka dumps Gauff as semi-final lineup is set for WTA Finals in Riyadh
Updated 07 November 2025
Follow

Sabalenka dumps Gauff as semi-final lineup is set for WTA Finals in Riyadh

Sabalenka dumps Gauff as semi-final lineup is set for WTA Finals in Riyadh
  • Top seed Aryna Sabalenka will face 4th seed Amanda Anisimova for a place in the final
  • 5th seed Jessica Pegula will take on 6th seed Elena Rybakina in the other semi

RIYADH: The lineup for the semi-finals of the 2025 WTA Finals Riyadh was decided on Thursday during a thrilling finale to the group stage in which world No. 1 Aryna Sabalenka eliminated defending champion Coco Gauff.

There was everything to play for ahead of the third and final round of matches in the Stefanie Graf Group at the King Saud University Indoor Arena, with three of the four players still in contention for a place in the last four.

Fifth seed Jessica Pegula gave herself the best possible chance of advancing by sealing a comfortable 6-2, 6-3 victory over eighth seed Jasmine Paolini. However, the American’s progression still hinged on the outcome of a blockbuster showdown between top seed Sabalenka and third seed Gauff.

Various permutations were in play regarding which two of the three would qualify, but Gauff knew that anything short of a victory would mean elimination and the end of her title defense.

In the clash of two of the biggest superstars in tennis, Gauff claimed an early lead, but in the end it would be a dramatic tiebreak that decided the opening set, with Sabalenka edging it to put herself on the brink of the semi-finals. She then claimed the second set by a more comfortable 6-2 margin to seal the victory.

Sabalenka, 27, said she was “super happy to get this win in straight sets. I’m staying hungry and staying aggressive in the game. Sometimes I need to throw emotions out just to be able to compete, and I think I’m balancing it pretty well.”

She will now face fellow American, and fourth seed, Amanda Anisimova on Friday. The pair have already faced each other in three huge matches this year, not least their most recent clash in the final of the US Open in September, which Sabalenka won 6-3, 7-6. However, Anisimova leads their career head-to-head record with six wins to Sabalenka’s four.

Gauff made history last year when she won the 2024 WTA Finals in Riyadh, the first ever professional women’s tennis tournament staged in Saudi Arabia. Just 20 years old at the time, she was also the youngest winner in two decades.

After her loss to Sabalenka on Thursday she said: “I had a lot of chances in the first set. It was a bit disappointing not to get that one. She stepped her level up and I just couldn’t find it after that.

“Overall, I think I was playing a high level. Couple points in the tiebreaker, I had on my racket. It was a tough one.”

In the other semi-final, also on Friday, Pegula will face sixth seed Elena Rybakina.