Saudi golfer Khalid Attieh makes history at LIV Golf-backed Asian Tour

Special Saudi golfer Khalid Attieh makes history at LIV Golf-backed Asian Tour
Khalid Attieh registered the rarest of birds, an albatross, at the Link Hong Kong Open. (Screengrab)
Short Url
Updated 30 October 2025
Follow

Saudi golfer Khalid Attieh makes history at LIV Golf-backed Asian Tour

Saudi golfer Khalid Attieh makes history at LIV Golf-backed Asian Tour
  • Young Saudi shot a rare albatross in the first round of the tournament, as he etched his name into the Asian Tour history books
  • Achieved the feat on the 529-yard par-5 13th, when his second shot with a 6-iron found the bottom of the cup

MANILA: Khalid Attieh tossed a bomb at the Link Hong Kong Open on Thursday, after a quiet display last week in the International Series Philippines.

The young Saudi shot a rare albatross in the first round of the tournament, as he etched his name into the Asian Tour history books.

The shot for the ages was only the second this season and 30th in Tour history, according to the Asian Tour website.

The 31-year old, whose prodigious length off the tee could give established Asian Tour stars a run for their money, achieved the feat on the 529-yard par-5 13th, when his second shot with a 6-iron found the bottom of the cup.

Still trying to get to grips with elite competition — though he and fellow Saudi Faisal Salhab have made a number of cuts — Attieh shot a 1-under-par 69 on the first day, nine shots behind LIV Golf star Tom McKibbin, who headed the field after carding a new course record 10-under at the Hong Kong Golf Cub.

Attieh hit three birdies and two bogeys for a 33 going out. After a bogey on the 12th, he hit the albatross on the 13th and despite further bogeys at the 15th and 18th got home in a level 36.

He finished in a group of 16 players that included Graeme McDowell, who won the 2020 European Tour-sanctioned Saudi International at Royal Greens Golf Club. Salhab finished with a 5-over 75.

Elsewhere in the field, LIV Golf players Josele Ballester and Charles Howell hit a bogey-free 6-under 64 and a 4-under 66, respectively, to remain in contention heading into round 2.


South Africa's Brevis out of Pakistan ODIs with shoulder injury

South Africa's Brevis out of Pakistan ODIs with shoulder injury
Updated 04 November 2025
Follow

South Africa's Brevis out of Pakistan ODIs with shoulder injury

South Africa's Brevis out of Pakistan ODIs with shoulder injury
  • The 22-year-old hurt his shoulder during the third and final T20 international in Lahore on Saturday
  • Injuries have already ruled out regular captain Temba Bavuma, bowlers Kwena Maphaka and Gerald Coetzee

FAISALABAD: South Africa's depleted squad for the one-day international series against Pakistan took another hit on Tuesday, with dynamic batter Dewald Brevis sidelined due to a shoulder injury.

Cricket South Africa (CSA) said the 22-year-old hurt his shoulder during the third and final T20 international in Lahore on Saturday.

"Brevis has been ruled out of the three-match one-day international series against Pakistan due to a low-grade shoulder muscle strain and will now undergo rehabilitation," said a CSA statement.

His replacement for the ODI series will be announced in due course, it added.

Brevis featured in both the two-match Test series, which ended in a 1-1 draw, and the T20 series, which South Africa lost 2-1.

His absence adds to South Africa's growing injury list.

Regular captain Temba Bavuma, along with pace bowlers Kwena Maphaka and Gerald Coetzee, are already ruled out due to injuries. Opener Aiden Markram and frontline quicks Kagiso Rabada and Marco Jansen were rested for the series.

South Africa will be hoping Brevis recovers in time for their two-match Test series against India, starting November 14 in Kolkata.