Report: Dustin Johnson agrees to new deal with LIV Golf

Report: Dustin Johnson agrees to new deal with LIV Golf
Dustin Johnson of the US during the first round last Thursday of the International Series Philippines at Sta. Elena Golf Club in Santa Rosa, Laguna, south of Manila. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 29 October 2025
Follow

Report: Dustin Johnson agrees to new deal with LIV Golf

Report: Dustin Johnson agrees to new deal with LIV Golf
  • Johnson re-signing with LIV Golf does not come as a big surprise
  • The 41-year- old has said he enjoys freedom the league’s schedule affords him

NEW YORK: Dustin Johnson is among the early signings for LIV Golf who have reportedly agreed to second contracts with the Saudi-backed league.

Johnson originally signed with LIV Golf in June 2022 for a contract that is believed to be in excess of $100 million. While terms of his new agreement aren’t known, he is staying with the league.

“Multiple sources confirm that Dustin Johnson has signed a new contract with LIV Golf,” the golf site Flushing It, which is known to have strong sources within the league, posted on X. “The details of the deal are unknown at this stage, but the 2022 Individual Championship winner was in New York recently to meet with officials and will be returning as captain of 4 Aces GC in 2026.

“There’s been lots of speculation about star names leaving the league, but we understand that most players up for renewal this year have already agreed terms and will be teeing it up next season, with all players not released or relegated also expected to do so.”

Johnson re-signing with LIV Golf does not come as a big surprise. The 41-year- old has said previously that he enjoys the freedom that the league’s schedule affords him and that he does not envision playing well past his prime.

Johnson is coming off a disappointing 14th-place finish in the individual race this year, while the 4Aces finished seventh in the team competition. He has also fallen to 595th in the Official World Golf Ranking while struggling in recent majors.

The winner of the 2016 US Open and 2020 Masters missed the cut at both this year, along with the PGA Championship, before finishing his major season with a T23 at the Open Championship.

Johnson fell as low as 907th in the world following the US Open, but reclaimed some points by making the weekend at The Open and tying for 15th at the International Series Philippines last week, where he finished 11 shots behind winner Miguel Tabuena.

There has been speculation that some of the early defectors to LIV Golf may be considering a return to the PGA Tour as their paths into future majors dwindle. Chief among them is Brooks Koepka, whose initial contract is believed to expire after the 2026 season.

Like Johnson, Koepka made the cut at only one major this year, finishing T12 at the US Open. The 35-year-old has fallen to 227th in the world, but a potential return to the PGA Tour is clouded by the one-year wait currently mandated by the tour for players who depart LIV Golf.


‘Battle of the Sexes’ pits Aryna Sabalenka against Nick Kyrgios

‘Battle of the Sexes’ pits Aryna Sabalenka against Nick Kyrgios
Updated 04 November 2025
Follow

‘Battle of the Sexes’ pits Aryna Sabalenka against Nick Kyrgios

‘Battle of the Sexes’ pits Aryna Sabalenka against Nick Kyrgios
  • WTA world No. 1 Sabalenka vs. showman Kyrgios on Dec. 28
  • Game comes 52 years after Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs

DUBAI: WTA world No. 1 Aryna Sabalenka and tennis showman Nick Kyrgios face-off in a competition billed as the “Battle of the Sexes: The Dubai Showdown” on Dec. 28.

The event at the Coca-Cola Arena has been organized by TLive, the sports and entertainment company, co-founding partner IM8, and the Dubai Department of Economy and Tourism.

Fifty-two years after the legendary 1973 “Battle of the Sexes” match between Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs, this contemporary edition unites two of tennis’ most compelling personalities, the organizers stated in a release on Tuesday.

Sabalenka said: “I have so much respect for Billie Jean King and what she has done for the women’s game. I’m proud to represent women’s tennis and to be part of this modern take of the iconic ‘Battle of the Sexes’ match.

“Dubai is my home, and I know this city loves big, entertaining events. I have a lot of respect for Nick and his talent, but make no mistake, I’m ready to bring my A-game.”

Kyrgios said: “When the world No.1 challenges you, you answer the call. I've got massive respect for Aryna; she’s a powerhouse and a true champion.

“But I’ve never backed down from a challenge, and I’m not just here to play — I’m here to entertain. This is what I live for.”

Mark McFarlane, MD of TLive, said: “We’re bringing together two of tennis’ most compelling personalities for a night that celebrates skill, showmanship, and respect on and off the court.”