Saudis Salhab, Attieh look at move on from International Series Philippines

Left: Khaled Attieh on the 11th tee during the second round of the International Series Phiippines on Friday; right: Faisal Salhab lines up his putt on the ninth green during the International Series Philippines second round Friday. (AN Photos/Philip Evardone)
Left: Khaled Attieh on the 11th tee during the second round of the International Series Phiippines on Friday; right: Faisal Salhab lines up his putt on the ninth green during the International Series Philippines second round Friday. (AN Photos/Philip Evardone)
Short Url
Updated 25 October 2025
Follow

Saudis Salhab, Attieh look at move on from International Series Philippines

Saudis Salhab, Attieh look at move on from International Series Philippines
  • Players embrace challenges to come after missing cut

STA. ROSA, Laguna: Faisal Salhab has commented that he had a lovely junior experience growing up and playing in Saudi Arabia. These days, he and Khaled Attieh have their hands full as part of the Asian Tour caravan that has taken them to multiple countries in the region.

Such is the transformation of the Saudi duo who have both graced the pages of Arab News since they were children. Attieh still remembers the lengthy interview he gave to Arab News when he was still a bubbly 12-year-old, and says he still has a copy of the paper, while Salhab shot his first eagle at Dirab Golf Club in Riyadh as a 13-year old, a feat that was documented by Arab News.

“It’s crazy, unbelievable. (It’s) good to see you,” Salhab, 26, excitedly said on Friday after Arab News caught up with him at the driving range of Sta. Elena Golf Club, the location for the International Series Philippines, presented by BingoPlus.

Attieh, now 31, returned a wide smile and waved his hand after he realized who called him from behind.

There are five Saudis playing on the Asian Tour, including the reputed poster boy of Saudi golf, Othman Almulla.

Salhab and Attieh might have failed to make the cut at the elevated Asian Tour event but they will be moving on richer in experience and looking forward to a repeat visit to the Philippines given the chance.

They said: “This is our first time visiting the Philippines. Beautiful people; beautiful golf course; very good hospitality, and happy to be here. From what we have seen this will not be our last time to be here.”

Salhab said: “Sta. Elena is a gorgeous golf course. Tough fairways and greens. We are lucky to miss the rain.”

Salhab, who lives in Riyadh, shared that Golf Saudi’s new push is internal growth.

The Jeddah-based Attieh, who is the youngest amateur Arab golfer to have qualified for the Dubai Desert Classic, was 8 over after two rounds of the tournament at Sta. Elena following scores of 77 and 75, while Salhab was +11 (77, 78).

The Saudi pair, who are both explosive hitters, had made a number of cuts on the Saudi-backed Asian Tour and arrived in the Philippines from Macau.

They fly next to Hong Kong and Singapore before returning to Saudi Arabia.

Salhab said it had been tough on the golf tour, but he has learned to embrace it as it is a job they both have to do. 


South Africa's Brevis out of Pakistan ODIs with shoulder injury

South Africa's Brevis out of Pakistan ODIs with shoulder injury
Updated 04 November 2025
Follow

South Africa's Brevis out of Pakistan ODIs with shoulder injury

South Africa's Brevis out of Pakistan ODIs with shoulder injury
  • The 22-year-old hurt his shoulder during the third and final T20 international in Lahore on Saturday
  • Injuries have already ruled out regular captain Temba Bavuma, bowlers Kwena Maphaka and Gerald Coetzee

FAISALABAD: South Africa's depleted squad for the one-day international series against Pakistan took another hit on Tuesday, with dynamic batter Dewald Brevis sidelined due to a shoulder injury.

Cricket South Africa (CSA) said the 22-year-old hurt his shoulder during the third and final T20 international in Lahore on Saturday.

"Brevis has been ruled out of the three-match one-day international series against Pakistan due to a low-grade shoulder muscle strain and will now undergo rehabilitation," said a CSA statement.

His replacement for the ODI series will be announced in due course, it added.

Brevis featured in both the two-match Test series, which ended in a 1-1 draw, and the T20 series, which South Africa lost 2-1.

His absence adds to South Africa's growing injury list.

Regular captain Temba Bavuma, along with pace bowlers Kwena Maphaka and Gerald Coetzee, are already ruled out due to injuries. Opener Aiden Markram and frontline quicks Kagiso Rabada and Marco Jansen were rested for the series.

South Africa will be hoping Brevis recovers in time for their two-match Test series against India, starting November 14 in Kolkata.