Slovakia court sentences the suspect in attempted assassination of prime minister to 21 years

Slovakia court sentences the suspect in attempted assassination of prime minister to 21 years
Juraj Cintula, accused of the 2024 attack on Slovak Prime Minister Robert Fico, walks with security officials on the last day of his trial at the Specialised Criminal Court in Banska Bystrica, Slovakia. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 21 October 2025
Follow

Slovakia court sentences the suspect in attempted assassination of prime minister to 21 years

Slovakia court sentences the suspect in attempted assassination of prime minister to 21 years
  • The verdict was handed down by the Specialized Criminal Court in the central city of Banská Bystrica. Cintula and prosecutors still can appeal the verdict
  • Cintula has claimed his motive for the shooting was that he disagreed with government policies

BRATISLAVA: A court in Slovakia on Tuesday convicted the suspect in last year’s attempted assassination of the country’s populist Prime Minister Robert Fico of a terror attack and sentenced him to 21 years in prison.
Juraj Cintula was accused of opening fire on Fico on May 15, 2024, as the prime minister greeted supporters following a government meeting in the town of Handlová, located 140 kilometers (85 miles) northeast of the capital of Bratislava.
The verdict was handed down by the Specialized Criminal Court in the central city of Banská Bystrica. Cintula and prosecutors still can appeal the verdict.
Cintula, 72, was arrested immediately after the attack and ordered to remain behind bars. When questioned by investigators, he rejected the accusation of being a “terrorist.”
Fico was shot in the abdomen and was taken from Handlová to a hospital in nearby Banská Bystrica. He underwent a five-hour surgery, followed by another two-hour surgery two days later. He has since recovered.
Cintula has claimed his motive for the shooting was that he disagreed with government policies. He refused to testify at the Specialized Criminal Court but confirmed that what he had told investigators about his motive remains true.
In his testimony read by a prosecutor at the trial, Cintula said he disagreed with Fico’s government policies, including the cancelation of a special prosecution office dealing with corruption, the end of military help for Ukraine and the government’s approach to culture.
“I decided to harm the health of the prime minister but I had no intention to kill anyone,” he said in the testimony. He also said he was relieved when he learned the premier survived.
Cintula was originally charged with attempted murder. Prosecutors later dropped that charge and said they were instead pursuing the more serious charge of engaging in a terror attack, based on evidence the investigators obtained, but gave no further details.
Government officials initially said they believed it was a politically motivated attack committed by a “lone wolf,” but announced later that a third party might have been involved in “acting for the benefit of the perpetrator.”
Fico previously said he “had no reason to believe” it was an attack by a lone deranged person and repeatedly blamed the liberal opposition and media for the assassination attempt. There is no evidence for that.
The prime minister was not present at the trial.
Fico previously said he felt “no hatred” toward his attacker, forgave him and planned no legal action against him.
Fico has long been a divisive figure in Slovakia and beyond. He returned to power for the fourth time after his leftist Smer, or Direction, party won the 2023 parliamentary election after campaigning on a pro-Russia and anti-American message.
His critics have charged that Slovakia under Fico has abandoned its pro-Western course and is following the direction of Hungary under Prime Minister Viktor Orbán. Thousands have repeatedly rallied in Bratislava and across Slovaka to protest Fico’s pro-Russian stance and other policies.


UN says 2025 to be among top three warmest years on record

UN says 2025 to be among top three warmest years on record
Updated 07 November 2025
Follow

UN says 2025 to be among top three warmest years on record

UN says 2025 to be among top three warmest years on record
  • Mean near-surface temperature during the first eight months of 2025 stood at 1.42C above the pre-industrial average, says WMO
  • Impact of temperature rises can be seen in the Arctic sea ice extent, which after the winter freeze this year was the lowest ever recorded

GENEVA:  An alarming streak of exceptional temperatures has put 2025 on course to be among the hottest years ever recorded, the United Nations said Thursday, insisting though that the trend could still be reversed.
While this year will not surpass 2024 as the hottest recorded, it will rank second or third, capping more than a decade of unprecedented heat, the UN’s weather and climate agency said, capping more .
Meanwhile concentrations of greenhouse gases grew to new record highs, locking in more heat for the future, the World Meteorological Organization warned in a report released as dozens of world leaders met in the Brazilian Amazon ahead of next week’s COP30 UN climate summit.
Together, the developments “mean that it will be virtually impossible to limit global warming to 1.5C in the next few years without temporarily overshooting the Paris Agreement target,” WMO chief Celeste Saulo told leaders in Belem in northern Brazil.
The 2015 Paris climate accords aimed to limit global warming to well below two degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels — and to 1.5C if possible.
Saulo insisted in a statement that while the situation was dire, “the science is equally clear that it’s still entirely possible and essential to bring temperatures back down to 1.5C by the end of the century.”
Surface heat
UN chief Antonio Guterres called the missed temperature target a “moral failure.”
Speaking at a Geneva press conference, WMO’s climate science chief Chris Hewitt stressed that “we don’t yet know how long we would be above 1.5 degrees.”
“That very much depends on decisions that are made now... So that’s one of the big challenges of COP30.”
But the world remains far off track.
Already, the years between 2015 and 2025 will individually have been the warmest since observations began 176 years ago, WMO said.
And 2023, 2024 and 2025 figure at the very top of that ranking.
The WMO report said that the mean near-surface temperature — about two meters (six feet) above the ground — during the first eight months of this year stood at 1.42C above the pre-industrial average.
At the same time, concentrations of heat-trapping greenhouse gases in the atmosphere and ocean heat content continued to rise, up from 2024’s already record levels, it found.
In its annual report on Tuesday, the UN Environment Programme also confirmed that emissions of greenhouse gases increased by 2.3 percent last year, growth driven by India followed by China, Russia and Indonesia.

 ‘Urgent action’ 

The WMO said the impact of temperature rises can be seen in the Arctic sea ice extent, which after the winter freeze this year was the lowest ever recorded.
The Antarctic sea ice extent meanwhile tracked well below average throughout the year, it said.
The UN agency also highlighted numerous weather and climate-related extreme events during the first eight months of 2025, from devastating flooding to brutal heat and wildfires, with “cascading impacts on lives, livelihoods and food systems.”
In this context, the WMO hailed “significant advances” in early warning systems, which it stressed were “more crucial than ever.”
Since 2015, it said, the number of countries reporting such systems had more than doubled, from 56 to 119.
It hailed in particular progress among the world’s least developed countries and small island developing states, which showed a five-percent hike in access in the past year alone.
However, it lamented that 40 percent of the world’s countries still no such early warning systems.
“Urgent action is needed to close these remaining gaps,” it said.