Ukraine destroyed one Oreshnik missile in Russia in summer 2023, SBU says

Ukraine destroyed one Oreshnik missile in Russia in summer 2023, SBU says
Ukraine destroyed one of Russia's intermediate-range Oreshnik missiles in a special operation in summer 2023, the head of the SBU security service said on Friday. (X/@nexta_tv)
Short Url
Updated 31 October 2025
Follow

Ukraine destroyed one Oreshnik missile in Russia in summer 2023, SBU says

Ukraine destroyed one Oreshnik missile in Russia in summer 2023, SBU says
  • Russia first used the Oreshnik missile against Ukraine in November 2024
  • “We can say briefly and concisely that one of the three Oreshniks was successfully destroyed” Maliuk said

KYIV: Ukraine destroyed one of Russia’s intermediate-range Oreshnik missiles in a special operation in summer 2023, the head of the SBU security service said on Friday.
Vasyl Maliuk told reporters the operation was carried out jointly by SBU, GUR military intelligence, and foreign intelligence, adding that it was “100 percent successful.”
Reuters was unable to independently verify the report.
Russia first used the Oreshnik — hazel tree in Russian — missile against Ukraine in November 2024, targeting a defense enterprise in Dnipro, more than a year after Kyiv’s purported destruction of one of the missiles.
“We can say briefly and concisely that one of the three Oreshniks was successfully destroyed on their (Russian) territory at Kapustin Yar...,” Maliuk said during a briefing chaired by President Volodymyr Zelensky and also attended by Ukraine’s foreign minister, the head of foreign intelligence and other officials.
Maliuk gave no details of how the operation was conducted.
Ukraine’s intelligence officials said Russia produced three Oreshniks this year and planned to double annual production to six.
Zelensky said 25 companies were involved in Oreshnik production and urged Ukraine’s Western partners to impose sanctions on them.
Russian President Vladimir Putin has said the Oreshnik is impossible to intercept and has destructive power comparable to a nuclear weapon, though Western experts have questioned these assertions. Putin said in June Russia was stepping up production but gave no details.
Oreshnik missiles featured in joint Russian-Belarusian military exercises last month.
This week Belarus, a key ally of Russia, confirmed it would deploy the Oreshnik missile system on its territory, which borders Ukraine, in December.


A car fleeing police slams into a bar in Florida, killing 4 and injuring 11

A car fleeing police slams into a bar in Florida, killing 4 and injuring 11
Updated 15 sec ago
Follow

A car fleeing police slams into a bar in Florida, killing 4 and injuring 11

A car fleeing police slams into a bar in Florida, killing 4 and injuring 11
  • Officers identified the suspect as 22-year-old Silas Sampson, who was booked Saturday and was being held at the Hillsborough County Jail

A speeding car fleeing police slammed into a crowded bar early Saturday, killing four people and injuring 11 in a historic district of Tampa, Florida, that is known for its nightlife and tourists.
An air patrol unit spotted the silver sedan driving recklessly on a freeway at about 12:40 a.m. after it was seen street racing in another neighborhood, the Tampa Police Department said in a statement.
The Florida Highway Patrol caught up with the vehicle and tried to perform a PIT maneuver, which involves bumping the rear fender to cause a spinout, but it was unsuccessful.
Highway patrol officers “disengaged” as the vehicle sped toward historic Ybor City near downtown, police said, and ultimately the driver lost control and hit more than a dozen people outside the bar, Bradley’s on 7th.
Three people died at the scene, and a fourth died at a hospital. As of Saturday afternoon, two people were hospitalized in critical condition, seven were listed as stable and two had been treated and discharged, police said. Additionally there were two people who had only minor injuries and declined treatment at the scene.
“What happened this morning was a senseless tragedy, our hearts are with the loved ones of the victims and all those who were impacted,” Police Chief Lee Bercaw said in a statement.
Officers identified the suspect as 22-year-old Silas Sampson, who was booked Saturday and was being held at the Hillsborough County Jail.
Court documents show Sampson was charged with four counts of vehicular homicide and four counts of aggravated fleeing or eluding with serious bodily injury or death, all first-degree felonies.
No attorney was immediately listed for Sampson who could speak on his behalf.
“Our entire city feels this loss,” Mayor Jane Castor, who also served as Tampa’s first female police chief, said on social media. She added that the investigation is ongoing.
In recent years some states and local agencies have pushed to restrict high-speed car chases to protect both civilians and officers. Following a rise in fatalities, a 2023 study funded by the US Department of Justice called for chases to be rare, saying the dangers often outweigh the immediate need to take someone into custody.
Nevertheless, Florida’s highway patrol has loosened limits on car chases and PIT maneuvers, tactics that the Justice Department-backed report characterized as “high-risk” and “controversial.”