Revealed: UK defense officials’ litany of data breaches on Afghans fleeing Taliban

Revealed: UK defense officials’ litany of data breaches on Afghans fleeing Taliban
UK military personnel evacuating Afghans from Kabul airport in August 2021. The unit working on the Afghan Relocation and Assistance Policy has come under scrutiny over data breaches. (MoD)
Short Url
Updated 30 October 2025
Follow

Revealed: UK defense officials’ litany of data breaches on Afghans fleeing Taliban

Revealed: UK defense officials’ litany of data breaches on Afghans fleeing Taliban
  • Sensitive data from scheme to relocate Afghans exposed through laptop on train and email to social club
  • Details from 49 breaches emerge amid fallout from leak of spreadsheet containing information about thousands of people who worked with the UK against Taliban

LONDON: A UK defense official revealed sensitive personal information related to Afghans fleeing the Taliban when he left his laptop screen in public view on a train.

The incident was among dozens of data security breaches involving the Ministry of Defence unit handling the relocation of people who had worked alongside British forces during the war in Afghanistan.

In another blunder, an email containing sensitive data from the program was accidentally sent to a civil service sports and social club.

The breaches are among 49 incidents that have come to light in the fallout from a massive MoD data breach in 2022 when a spreadsheet containing details of almost 19,000 Afghans fleeing the Taliban was inadvertently leaked.

Those listed were applying under the Afghan Relocations and Assistance Policy set up just a few months before the Taliban captured Kabul.

Dozens of Afghans whose identities were contained in the leak said they have had family members or colleagues killed as a result of the data breach, according to research published this week.

The BBC reported in August that the leak was far from an isolated data security failure at the unit, revealing that there had been 49 separate incidents over four years.

Details of each of those incidents were revealed in a letter sent from a ministry civil servant to the parliament’s public accounts committee this month and reported by The Independent on Thursday.

The train incident in March 2023 involved an official ministry laptop screen displaying personal data being left in view of other passengers.

A decision letter about a personal data incident was sent to the wrong person in May 2024 and the following month, a letter meant to welcome an Afghan family after reaching safety in the UK was sent to the wrong email address.

Other incidents included insecure systems being used and sensitive information being accessed by the wrong employees.

Only five of the incidents were considered serious enough to be reported to the Information Commissioner’s Office, the UK’s data privacy watchdog.

The ICO decided not to launch a formal investigation into the February 2022 leak.

John Edwards, the UK information commissioner, told the science, innovation and technology committee last week that the ICO had relied on the “honesty” of the MoD when choosing not to investigate.

Dame Chi Onwurah, the committee’s chair, told The Independent: “Last week, my committee heard from the information commissioner about the data protection implications of the Afghan data breach. It was dismaying to hear that the ICO and successive administrations could have done more to ensure that government data practices were of a high enough standard to stop repeated data breaches from happening.”

In the letter to the public accounts committee revealing the details of the 49 breaches, Defense Ministry civil servant David Williams described how the department had moved to improve data protection practices since the February 2022 leak.

He said the leak happened “as a result of the lack of appropriate systems and the pressure of an ongoing evacuation operation.”


Germany’s Merz calls for repatriation of Syrians as far-right surges

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Germany’s Merz calls for repatriation of Syrians as far-right surges

Germany’s Merz calls for repatriation of Syrians as far-right surges
“There are now no longer any grounds for asylum in Germany, and therefore we can also begin with repatriations,” Merz said
The party has campaigned on an anti-migrant platform and argues that Islam is incompatible with German society

BERLIN: Syrians no longer have grounds for asylum in Germany now the civil war in their country is over, German Chancellor Friedrich Merz said, as his conservatives seek to fend off a surging far-right ahead of a slew of state elections next year.
Germany was the EU country that took in the largest number of refugees from the 14-year-long Syrian civil war due to former Chancellor Angela Merkel’s open-door policy, with around one million Syrians living in the country today.
But Merz and several fellow conservatives in his coalition cabinet say the situation has changed following the fall last December of Bashar Assad’s government and end of the war — despite the fact Syria remains in a deep humanitarian crisis and forcible returns would face steep legal challenges.

COUNTERING THE AfD
“There are now no longer any grounds for asylum in Germany, and therefore we can also begin with repatriations,” Merz said late on Monday, adding that he expected many Syrians to return of their own accord to rebuild the country.
“Without these people, rebuilding will not be possible. Those in Germany who then refuse to return to the country can, of course, also be deported in the near future.”
The far-right Alternative for Germany has surged ahead of Merz’s conservatives in opinion polls ahead of five state elections next year that could give the AfD its first state premier.
The party has campaigned on an anti-migrant platform and argues that Islam is incompatible with German society.
Migration has consistently topped polls about Germans’ top concerns in recent years, and some mainstream conservative strategists believe only a hard-line asylum policy can counter the AfD. Others advocate challenging the AfD more robustly.
The United Nations has warned that conditions in Syria currently do not allow for large-scale repatriations, with some 70 percent of the population still relying on humanitarian aid — a sentiment echoed by German Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul during his trip to the country last week.
AfD co-leader Alice Weidel called that “a slap in the face to the victims of Islamist violence,” referring to the arrest of a 22-year-old Syrian in Berlin on Sunday accused of preparing a “jihadi” attack in the latest of a series of high-profile incidents that have fueled public concerns over security and migration.

VOLUNTARY RETURNS
Germany has been examining the possibility of deporting Syrians with criminal records for several months, and Merz said on Monday he had invited Syrian President Ahmed Al-Sharaa to Germany to discuss the issue.
Now a policy of broader repatriations — preferably voluntary — is being discussed.
Chancellery chief Thorsten Frei said on Monday that young Sunni Muslim men were “certainly not subject to any danger or risk of destitution in Syria” anymore.
“Germany will only be able to help people in such situations on a lasting basis if, once the country has been pacified, a large proportion of these people then return to their homeland,” said Frei.
Hundreds of thousands of Bosnians were repatriated from Germany in the late 1990s after the end of the war there, largely via voluntary returns in part prompted by the knowledge their residence permits would not be extended.
Bosnia had a clearer peace architecture, with international monitoring, than Syria has today — and Germany would likely face legal challenges if it sought to forcibly return Syrians.
Only around 1,000 Syrians returned to Syria with German federal assistance in the first half of this year. Hundreds of thousands of Syrians in Germany still hold only temporary residence permits.