Massive strike in New Zealand as 100,000 demand better pay and conditions

Massive strike in New Zealand as 100,000 demand better pay and conditions
A "Station Closed" sign is seen at Wellington's central railway station, which remains shut after services were suspended during a rare Red Wind Warning in Wellington. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 23 October 2025
Follow

Massive strike in New Zealand as 100,000 demand better pay and conditions

Massive strike in New Zealand as 100,000 demand better pay and conditions
  • Since coming to power in 2023, the conservative government has reduced new public spending as it tries to return the government’s accounts to surplus
  • It dismissed the protests as a union-orchestrated political stunt, even as the demonstrations highlight growing public unease over the administration’s direction

WELLINGTON: More than 100,000 New Zealand teachers, nurses, doctors, firefighters and support staff walked off the job on Thursday demanding more money and resources for the public sector in a sign of growing discontent with the country’s center-right government.
Public servants marched with placards and banners in towns across New Zealand, chanting and listening to speeches. Protests in Wellington and Christchurch had to be canceled because of dangerous weather conditions.
The unions in a joint statement last week billed the strike as the largest in decades with more than 100,000 public servants taking part.
Middlemore Hospital emergency doctor and Association of Salaried Medical Specialists Vice President Sylvia Boys told the crowd at Aotea Square in Auckland the government had been elected on promises to reduce the cost of living while maintaining frontline services and it was “fair to say these are the issues on which they are failing dismally.”
“The cost of living has worsened, and in health and education we have seen cuts across the sector. We are losing more talent than ever before,” she added in her speech, which was published on Facebook by the ASMS union.
The government has dismissed the protests as a union-orchestrated political stunt, even as the demonstrations highlight growing public unease over the administration’s direction. Recent opinion polls indicate support for the ruling coalition has slipped, though the opposition has yet to open a clear lead.
Since coming to power in 2023, the conservative government has reduced new public spending as it tries to return the government’s accounts to surplus. It has said the cuts would be in back office operations and would keep interest rates low and ensure New Zealand continues to be seen as a good place to invest.
However, the economy has struggled, contracting in three of the last five quarters, and historically high numbers of New Zealanders are leaving the country. While inflation is off its peak, it has ticked higher in the past couple of quarters.
Public Service Minister Judith Collins said in a statement on Wednesday that the proposed strike was unfair, unproductive and unnecessary.
“It is a stunt targeting the Government but the people paying the price are the thousands of patients who have had appointments and surgeries canceled, and the hundreds of thousands of kids who will miss another day at school,” she said. The government said that it was ready to negotiate.


UN says 2025 to be among top three warmest years on record

UN says 2025 to be among top three warmest years on record
Updated 07 November 2025
Follow

UN says 2025 to be among top three warmest years on record

UN says 2025 to be among top three warmest years on record
  • Mean near-surface temperature during the first eight months of 2025 stood at 1.42C above the pre-industrial average, says WMO
  • Impact of temperature rises can be seen in the Arctic sea ice extent, which after the winter freeze this year was the lowest ever recorded

GENEVA:  An alarming streak of exceptional temperatures has put 2025 on course to be among the hottest years ever recorded, the United Nations said Thursday, insisting though that the trend could still be reversed.
While this year will not surpass 2024 as the hottest recorded, it will rank second or third, capping more than a decade of unprecedented heat, the UN’s weather and climate agency said, capping more .
Meanwhile concentrations of greenhouse gases grew to new record highs, locking in more heat for the future, the World Meteorological Organization warned in a report released as dozens of world leaders met in the Brazilian Amazon ahead of next week’s COP30 UN climate summit.
Together, the developments “mean that it will be virtually impossible to limit global warming to 1.5C in the next few years without temporarily overshooting the Paris Agreement target,” WMO chief Celeste Saulo told leaders in Belem in northern Brazil.
The 2015 Paris climate accords aimed to limit global warming to well below two degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels — and to 1.5C if possible.
Saulo insisted in a statement that while the situation was dire, “the science is equally clear that it’s still entirely possible and essential to bring temperatures back down to 1.5C by the end of the century.”
Surface heat
UN chief Antonio Guterres called the missed temperature target a “moral failure.”
Speaking at a Geneva press conference, WMO’s climate science chief Chris Hewitt stressed that “we don’t yet know how long we would be above 1.5 degrees.”
“That very much depends on decisions that are made now... So that’s one of the big challenges of COP30.”
But the world remains far off track.
Already, the years between 2015 and 2025 will individually have been the warmest since observations began 176 years ago, WMO said.
And 2023, 2024 and 2025 figure at the very top of that ranking.
The WMO report said that the mean near-surface temperature — about two meters (six feet) above the ground — during the first eight months of this year stood at 1.42C above the pre-industrial average.
At the same time, concentrations of heat-trapping greenhouse gases in the atmosphere and ocean heat content continued to rise, up from 2024’s already record levels, it found.
In its annual report on Tuesday, the UN Environment Programme also confirmed that emissions of greenhouse gases increased by 2.3 percent last year, growth driven by India followed by China, Russia and Indonesia.

 ‘Urgent action’ 

The WMO said the impact of temperature rises can be seen in the Arctic sea ice extent, which after the winter freeze this year was the lowest ever recorded.
The Antarctic sea ice extent meanwhile tracked well below average throughout the year, it said.
The UN agency also highlighted numerous weather and climate-related extreme events during the first eight months of 2025, from devastating flooding to brutal heat and wildfires, with “cascading impacts on lives, livelihoods and food systems.”
In this context, the WMO hailed “significant advances” in early warning systems, which it stressed were “more crucial than ever.”
Since 2015, it said, the number of countries reporting such systems had more than doubled, from 56 to 119.
It hailed in particular progress among the world’s least developed countries and small island developing states, which showed a five-percent hike in access in the past year alone.
However, it lamented that 40 percent of the world’s countries still no such early warning systems.
“Urgent action is needed to close these remaining gaps,” it said.