Pope Leo calls for ‘deep reflection’ about treatment of detained migrants in the US

Pope Leo calls for ‘deep reflection’ about treatment of detained migrants in the US
Federal agents confront community members during a standoff in Chicago, where Pope Leo was born, on Oct. 23, 2025. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 57 min 44 sec ago
Follow

Pope Leo calls for ‘deep reflection’ about treatment of detained migrants in the US

Pope Leo calls for ‘deep reflection’ about treatment of detained migrants in the US
  • The Chicago-born pope was responding to a range of geopolitical questions from reporters outside the papal retreat at Castel Gandolfo

VATICAN CITY: Pope Leo XIV called for “deep reflection” in the United States about the treatment of migrants held in detention, saying that “many people who have lived for years and years and years, never causing problems, have been deeply affected by what is going on right now.”
The Chicago-born pope was responding Tuesday to a range of geopolitical questions from reporters outside the papal retreat at Castel Gandolfo, including what kind of spiritual rights migrants in US custody should have, US military attacks on suspected drug traffickers off Venezuela and the fragile ceasefire in the Middle East.
Leo underlined that scripture emphasizes the question that will be posed at the end of the world: “How did you receive the foreigner, did you receive him and welcome him, or not? I think there is a deep reflection that needs to be made about what is happening.”
He said “the spiritual rights of people who have been detained should also be considered,’’ and he called on authorities to allow pastoral workers access to the detained migrants. “Many times they’ve been separated from their families. No one knows what’s happening, but their own spiritual needs should be attended to,” Leo said.
Leo last month urged labor union leaders visiting from Chicago to advocate for immigrants and welcome minorities into their ranks.
Asked about the lethal attacks on suspected drug traffickers off Venezuela, the pontiff said the military action was “increasing tension,’’ noting that they were coming even closer to the coastline.
“The thing is to seek dialogue,’’ the pope said.
On the Middle East, Leo acknowledged that the first phase of the peace accord between Israel and Hamas remains “very fragile,’’ and said that the parties need to find a way forward on future governance “and how you can guarantee the rights of all peoples.’’
Asked about Israeli settler attacks on Palestinians in the West Bank, the pope described the settlement issue as “complex,’’ adding: “Israel has said one thing, then it’s done another sometimes. We need to try to work together for justice for all peoples.’’
Pope Leo will receive Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas at the Vatican on Thursday. At the end of November he will make his first trip as Pope to Turkiye and Lebanon.


Germany cracks down on Muslim groups viewed as threats to its constitutional order

Germany cracks down on Muslim groups viewed as threats to its constitutional order
Updated 59 min 3 sec ago
Follow

Germany cracks down on Muslim groups viewed as threats to its constitutional order

Germany cracks down on Muslim groups viewed as threats to its constitutional order
  • Interior Ministry: Muslim Interaktiv represents a threat to the country’s constitutional order by promoting antisemitism and discrimination against women and sexual minorities
  • The group is known for a savvy online presence used to appeal especially to young Muslims

BERLIN: The German government on Wednesday banned a Muslim group, accusing it of violating human rights and the country’s democratic values, and conducted raids against two other Muslim groups across the country.
The Interior Ministry said the organization which it banned, Muslim Interaktiv, represented a threat to the country’s constitutional order by promoting antisemitism and discrimination against women and sexual minorities.
The group is known for a savvy online presence used to appeal especially to young Muslims who may feel alienated or discriminated against in Germany’s Christian majority society.
The German government argued the group was a particular threat because it promoted Islam as the sole model for the social order and maintained that Islamic law should take precedence over German law in regulating life in the Muslim community, including in areas such as the treatment of women.
The German government has in recent years been acting more forcefully against extremism, and banned several extremist groups – including several far-right and Muslim organizations. The crackdown comes after a spate of attacks, both by Muslim extremists and far-right groups plotting to overturn the country’s order.
“We will respond with the full force of the law to anyone who aggressively calls for a caliphate on our streets, incites hatred against the state of Israel and Jews in an intolerable manner, and despises the rights of women and minorities,” German Interior Minister Alexander Dobrindt said.
The ministry also announced that investigations were underway against two other Muslim groups, Generation Islam and Reality Islam.
“We will not allow organizations such as Muslim Interaktiv to undermine our free society with their hatred, despise our democracy, and attack our country from within,” the minister added.
The ministry said in its statement that the group “is particularly opposed to gender equality and freedom of sexual orientation and gender identity.”
“This expresses an intolerance that is incompatible with democracy and human rights,” it added.
Authorities on Wednesday searched seven premises in the northern city of Hamburg, and also conducted searches in 12 premises in Berlin and the central German state of Hesse in connection with the other two groups under investigation.
The government said Muslim Interaktiv sought to indoctrinate as many people as possible and “thus create permanent enemies of the constitution in order to continuously undermine the constitutional order.”
The interior state minister of Hamburg, Andy Grote, where the group was especially active, applauded the ban and called it a blow against “modern TikTok Islamism,” according to German news agency dpa.
In a recent report, the domestic intelligence service of Hamburg wrote that in their online posts and videos, the leaders of Muslim Interaktiv addressed socially relevant topics in order to exploit them “to portray a supposedly ongoing attitude of rejection by politics and society in Germany toward the entire Muslim community,” dpa reported.
Ahmad Mansour, a well-known activist against Muslim extremism in Germany, wrote on X that “it is right and necessary that Interior Minister Dobrindt has banned this group.”
Muslim Interaktiv, Mansour wrote, “is part of an Islamist network that has become significantly more aggressive and dangerous in recent months. They carry out intimidation campaigns, specifically mobilize young people, and attempt to indoctrinate them with Islamist ideology.”
The online presence of Muslim Interaktiv seemed to have been taken down on Wednesday morning and the group could not be reached for comment.