Medieval tower collapse adds to Italy’s workplace toll

Medieval tower collapse adds to Italy’s workplace toll
Carabinieri stand on the site after a part of medieval tower "Torre dei Conti" collapses near the Roman Forum in the historic center of Rome. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 05 November 2025
Follow

Medieval tower collapse adds to Italy’s workplace toll

Medieval tower collapse adds to Italy’s workplace toll
  • Some 575 people have died in workplace accidents in Italy so far in 2025, according to Inail, a public body that manages insurance for such incidents

ROME: The deadly collapse of a medieval tower in Rome has made global headlines, but for trade unions, it is simply the latest of many workplace tragedies in Italy.
“Today is a day of pain and anger,” said Natale Di Cola, secretary general of the CGIL union in Rome, which organized a torchlight procession Tuesday for the worker killed in Monday’s partial collapse of the Torre dei Conti.
A 66-year-old Romanian man, Octav Stroici, died in hospital after being trapped for hours under the rubble of the building, which was being renovated as part of a public project using European Union funds.
An investigation is underway into what happened on the site, in a busy area near the Colosseum, but one of his fellow workers told AFP that the site was “not safe.”
In a statement, the CGIL warned it was “a tragedy that requires decisive action from institutions and the corporate world.”
Some 575 people have died in workplace accidents in Italy so far in 2025, according to Inail, a public body that manages insurance for such incidents.
Construction and manufacturing were the main sectors affected.
The incident rate is only slightly above the EU average, but the tragedies regularly make the news, appearing from the outside to be the result of mundane mistakes.
The number of workplace deaths “is unacceptable,” Pierpaolo Bombardieri, general secretary of the UIL union, told AFP in a recent interview.
On the same day as the Rome tower collapse, four other people died in workplace accidents, according to the CGIL.
These included a 31-year-old who fell while working in a quarry in the Brescia area, and a construction worker, 63, who died nearly two months after an accident near Naples, the union said.

- Government changes -

Last week, Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni’s hard-right government published a new law on workplace safety, after months of talks with trade unions.
The decree introduces a nationwide electronic badge for companies working on construction sites, including subcontractors, boosts inspections and offers financial incentives for firms that reduce accidents.
The UIL union gave it a “positive assessment” but warned this week that “there is still much to be done.”
Francesca Re David, confederal secretary of the CGIL union, described the measures as “extremely limited,” saying they “do not adequately address the real emergencies.”

- ‘World collapsed’ -

Antonino Ferrara cannot remember his accident, just that he suddenly found his right arm crushed in an aluminum melting press, the artificial fibers in his fleece burning.
“My world collapsed at that moment,” the 29-year-old told AFP, recalling the incident at a factory in northern Italy in 2022.
He said he had not received any training, nor was he wearing the right protective clothing at the time.
“I had the interview, they showed me the machinery, and they said, ‘See you tomorrow’,” he added.
He believes he may have made a mistake, but said an investigation later found there was no safety system in place.
Fabrizio Potetti, regional secretary of CGIL in the region of Lazio, said the biggest issue in workplace safety was the lack of standards among subcontractors.
“If we look at large companies, their accident rate is close to zero, but in the chain of contracts and subcontracts, especially among small and medium-sized firms, that’s where accidents happen,” he told AFP.
Subcontracting companies, Potetti said, “save on labor costs, on safety, on training.”
The UIL union has also pointed to continued issues in subcontracting, and this week said more could be done on improving the quality of training and tackling undeclared work.
“We cannot stop. The lives of workers must be respected and protected, to achieve the only tolerable number — zero,” said UIL confederal secretary Ivana Veronese.


Philippines declares a state of emergency after Typhoon Kalmaegi left at least 114 people dead

Updated 10 sec ago
Follow

Philippines declares a state of emergency after Typhoon Kalmaegi left at least 114 people dead

Philippines declares a state of emergency after Typhoon Kalmaegi left at least 114 people dead
MANILA: Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. declared a state of emergency on Thursday after Typhoon Kalmaegi left at least 114 people dead and hundreds missing in central provinces in the deadliest natural disaster to hit the country this year.
The deaths were mostly from drowning in flash floods, and 127 people were still missing, many in the hard-hit central province of Cebu. The tropical cyclone blew out of the archipelago on Wednesday into the South China Sea.
The typhoon’s onslaught affected nearly 2 million people and displaced more than 560,000 villagers, including nearly 450,000 who were evacuated to emergency shelters, the Office of Civil Defense said.
Marcos’s “state of national calamity” declaration, made during a meeting with disaster-response officials to assess the typhoon’s aftermath, would allow the government to disburse emergency funds faster and prevent food hoarding and overpricing.
While still dealing with the deadly and disastrous impact of Kalmaegi in the country’s central region, disaster-response officials warned that another tropical cyclone from the Pacific could strengthen into a super typhoon and batter the northern Philippines early next week.
Among the dead attributed by officials to Kalmaegi were six people who were killed when a Philippine air force helicopter crashed in the southern province of Agusan del Sur on Tuesday. The crew was on its way to provide humanitarian help to provinces battered by the typhoon, the military said. It did not give the cause of the crash.
Kalmaegi set off flash floods and caused a river and other waterways to swell in Cebu province. The resulting flooding engulfed residential communities, forcing residents to climb on their roofs, where they desperately pleaded to be rescued as the floodwaters rose, provincial officials said.
At least 71 people died in Cebu, mostly due to drownings, while 65 others were reported missing and 69 injured, the Office of Civil Defense said.
It added that 62 others were reported missing in the central province of Negros Occidental, which is located near Cebu.
“We did everything we can for the typhoon but, you know, there are really some unexpected things like flash floods,” Cebu Gov. Pamela Baricuatro told The Associated Press by telephone.
The problems may have been made worse by years of quarrying that caused clogging of nearby rivers, which overflowed, and substandard flood control projects in Cebu province, Baricuatro said.
A corruption scandal involving substandard or non-existent flood control projects across the Philippines has sparked public outrage and street protests in recent months.
Cebu was still recovering from a 6.9 magnitude earthquake on Sept. 30 that left at least 79 people dead and displaced thousands when houses collapsed or were severely damaged.
Thousands of northern Cebu residents who were displaced by the earthquake were moved to sturdier evacuation shelters from flimsy tents before the typhoon struck, Baricuatro said. Northern towns devastated by the earthquake were mostly not hit by floods generated by Kalmaegi, she added.
Ferries and fishing boats were prohibited from venturing out to increasingly rough seas, stranding more than 3,500 passengers and cargo truck drivers in nearly 100 seaports, the coast guard said. At least 186 domestic flights were canceled.
The Philippines is battered by about 20 typhoons and storms each year. The country also is often hit by earthquakes and has more than a dozen active volcanoes, making it one of the world’s most disaster-prone countries.