US hailed Spain in NATO after Trump threats: Spanish minister
US hailed Spain in NATO after Trump threats: Spanish minister/node/2621330/world
US hailed Spain in NATO after Trump threats: Spanish minister
Spanish Defense Minister Margarita Robles looks on before a NATO Ministers of Defense Summit at the NATO headquarters in Brussels, Oct. 15, 2025. (AFP)
US hailed Spain in NATO after Trump threats: Spanish minister
Spain has sent over 700 troops to Latvia as part of NATO’s efforts in Eastern Europe
Pentagon “congratulated Spain” for “contributing to the reinforcement of the Atlantic Alliance”
Updated 04 November 2025
AFP
MADRID: The United States has praised Spain’s contribution to NATO, the Spanish defense minister said Monday, after President Donald Trump suggested expelling the country from the alliance for not meeting his military spending target.
Last week, the United States announced the withdrawal of some troops from the alliance’s sensitive eastern European flank, on the front line against Russia during the invasion of Ukraine.
But the Pentagon simultaneously said Spain’s contingent was playing “a fundamental and essential role for the defense of Europe and policies of deterrence,” Spanish Defense Minister Margarita Robles said.
The Pentagon “congratulated Spain” for “contributing to the reinforcement of the Atlantic Alliance” and its more than 700 troops in Latvia, she added at a security forum in Madrid.
“Faced with those who want to say Spain is not a committed ally, Spain is a committed ally... and the Department of War recognized that last week,” added Robles, referring to the US defense ministry by its new name.
The revelation contrasts with recent remarks by Trump, who threatened to expel and impose tariff “punishment” on Spain, which was NATO’s lowest defense spender in relative terms last year.
In June, the 32-nation alliance agreed to massively boost defense spending to five percent of annual economic output over the next decade under pressure from Trump, who has raised doubts about the US commitment to European security.
But Spain insisted it would not need to hit the headline figure, saying it should meet its capacity objectives rather than fixed spending targets.
Truckers defy death to supply militant-hit Mali with fuel
Updated 3 sec ago
AFP
TENGRELA: Tanker driver Baba steeled himself for yet another perilous journey from Ivory Coast to Mali loaded up with desperately needed fuel — and fear. “You never know if you’ll come back alive,” he said. Even before they hit the road, the mere mention of a four-letter acronym is enough to scare Baba and his fellow drivers. JNIM, the Al-Qaeda-linked Group to Support Islam and Muslims, known by its Arabic acronym, declared two months ago that no tanker would cross into Mali from any neighboring country. Hundreds of trucks carrying goods from the Ivorian economic hub Abidjan or the Senegalese capital Dakar have since been set on fire. The JNIM’s strategy of economic militant aims to choke off Mali’s capital Bamako and the ruling military junta, which seized power in back-to-back coups in 2020 and 2021. The fuel blockade has made everyday life in the west African country all but impossible. “By economically strangling the country, the JNIM is looking to win popular support by accusing the military government of incompetence,” Bakary Sambe from the Dakar-based Timbuktu Institute think tank said. On top of that, Mali has a “structural problem of insecurity,” he added. Despite it all, dozens of tanker truckers still brave the roads, driven on by “necessity” and “patriotism,” they say. AFP spoke to several along the more than 300-kilometer (185-mile) road between the northern Ivorian towns of Niakaramandougou and Tengrela, the last one before the Malian border.
- Dying ‘for a good cause’ -
“We do it because we love our country,” Baba, whose name AFP has changed out of security concerns, said. “We don’t want Malians to be without fuel,” added the 30-year-old in a Manchester United shirt. Taking a break parked up at Niakaramandougou, five hours from the border, Mamadou Diallo, 55, is similarly minded. “If we die, it’s for a good cause,” he confided. Further north at Kolia, Sidiki Dembele took a quick lunch with a colleague, their trucks lined up on the roadside, engines humming. “If the trucks stop, a whole country will be switched off,” he said, between mouthfuls of rice. Two years ago, more than half of the oil products exported by Ivory Coast went to Mali. Malian trucks load up at Yamoussoukro or Abidjan and then cross the border via Tengrela or Pogo, traveling under military escort once inside Mali until their arrival in Bamako. Up to several hundred trucks can be escorted at a time, but even with the military by their side, convoys are still frequently targeted, especially on two key southern axes. “Two months ago, I saw militants burn two trucks. The drivers died. I was just behind them. Miraculously they let me through,” Moussa, 38, in an oil-stained red polo T-shirt, said. Bablen Sacko also narrowly escaped an ambush. “Apprentices died right behind us,” he recalled, adding firmly: “Everyone has a role in building the country. Ours is to supply Mali with fuel. We do it out of patriotism.”
- ‘Risk premium’ -
But their pride is mixed with bitterness over their working conditions. “No contract, no insurance, no pension. If you die, that’s that. After your burial, you’re forgotten,” Sacko said. With monthly pay of barely 100,000 CFA francs ($175, 152 euros) and a small bonus of 50,000 CFA francs per trip, Yoro, one of the drivers, has called for a risk premium. Growing insecurity has prompted some Ivorian transport companies to halt road travel into Mali. In Boundiali, Broulaye Konate has grounded his 45-strong fleet. “I asked a driver to deliver fertilizer to Mali. He refused. The truck is still parked in Abidjan,” he said. Ivorian trucker Souleymane Traore has been driving to Mali for seven years but said lately “you take to the road with fear in your heart.” He recently counted 52 burnt-out tankers on his way back to Ivory Coast and another six on a further stretch of road. Malian Prime Minister Abdoulaye Maiga has referred to the fuel that manages to get through as “human blood,” in recognition of the soldiers and drivers killed on the roads. Analyst Charlie Werb from Aldebaran Threat Consultants said he did not anticipate the fuel situation easing in the coming days but said the political climate was more uncertain. “I do not believe JNIM possesses the capability or intent to take Bamako at this time, though the threat it now poses to the city is unprecedented,” he added.