Afghanistan pulls out of Pakistan cricket tournament after Islamabad airstrikes kill 3 athletes

Special Afghan relatives and mourners carry the coffin of a victim, killed in aerial strikes by Pakistan, during a funeral ceremony at the Urgun district of Paktika province on Oct. 18, 2025. (AFP)
Afghan relatives and mourners carry the coffin of a victim, killed in aerial strikes by Pakistan, during a funeral ceremony at the Urgun district of Paktika province on Oct. 18, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 18 October 2025
Follow

Afghanistan pulls out of Pakistan cricket tournament after Islamabad airstrikes kill 3 athletes

Afghanistan pulls out of Pakistan cricket tournament after Islamabad airstrikes kill 3 athletes
  • Afghan, Pakistan negotiators due to hold peace talks in Qatar on Saturday
  • At least 17 Afghans were killed in latest Pakistani air strikes, local media reports

KABUL: Afghanistan has withdrawn its national cricket team from next month’s tri-nation tournament in Pakistan, after three Afghan cricketers were killed in overnight Pakistani military strikes amid the latest flare-up of tensions between the neighbors. 

The deadliest clashes in years between the two countries started last week and were triggered by an unclaimed explosion in Kabul and another in the southeastern province of Paktika, for which the Afghan government blamed the Pakistani military. 

After days of bloody border fighting that killed dozens of soldiers and civilians from both nations, Afghanistan and Pakistan agreed to a 48-hour truce on Wednesday, which was extended as officials from the two countries held talks in Qatar on Saturday. 

However, according to a post on X from the Afghan Taliban government’s chief spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, “Pakistani military forces once again conducted airstrikes on civilian areas in Paktika” on Friday. 

The Afghanistan Cricket Board said on Saturday that three Afghan players were among those killed in the latest airstrikes, with local media outlets placing the death toll at 17. 

“A drone strike in Urgun district of Paktika province has killed three domestic cricket players … following their return from a local tournament in the provincial capital, Sharana … The deceased players have been identified as Sibghatullah, Kabeer Agha and Haroon,” Sher Dil Danish, ACB provincial manager in Paktika, told Arab News.

In a statement issued after the attacks, the ACB said it was withdrawing from the upcoming Tri-Nation T20I Series, which was scheduled to take place in Rawalpindi and Lahore from Nov. 17 to 29. 

Cricket is regarded as the most popular sport in Afghanistan and has represented a rare bright spot for many Afghans as they struggle amid a devastating economic and humanitarian crisis sparked by sanctions slapped on the Taliban administration following their takeover in 2021.

“Cricket and sports have brought nothing but happiness and hope to our country in some of the darkest times. It’s very sad to see our sportsmen being targeted,” Ahmadullah Khalid, a lecturer at Afghanistan’s Paktia University, told Arab News. 

“This strike represents not only a grave violation of Afghanistan’s sovereignty but a brutal assault on innocent lives, including young athletes who symbolized hope and unity for our nation … Targeting civilians in a border province already grappling with instability shows a reckless disregard for international law and human decency. This should not be acceptable to anyone,” Khalid added.


Christians in Bangladesh alarmed after bomb attacks

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Christians in Bangladesh alarmed after bomb attacks

Christians in Bangladesh alarmed after bomb attacks
DHAKA: Fear has gripped Bangladesh’s tiny Christian minority after three crude bomb attacks on churches and a Catholic school, which police on Sunday said caused no injuries but were “certainly” designed to sow terror.
No group has claimed responsibility for the incidents or explained why the Christian community, which numbers around 500,000 people of the South Asian nation’s 170 million citizens, was targeted.
“We are trying to determine whether the incidents are connected or isolated — they are certainly aimed at terrifying people,” Dhaka police spokesman Muhammad Talebur Rahman told AFP.
Bangladesh has been in political turmoil since a deadly uprising toppled the autocratic government of Sheikh Hasina more than a year ago.
The recent attacks on Christian sites add to tensions as parties gear up for elections slated for February 2026.
A churchgoer said on Sunday there was an “eerie feeling” within the community.
“Anxiety grips many of us while going to church,” the 25-year-old university graduate said, asking not to be named.
The first attack took place on October 8, when a crude bomb was hurled at the capital’s oldest church, the Holy Rosary Catholic Church, established by the Portuguese in the 17th century.
Then, overnight Friday, attackers targeted two more Catholic sites — St. Mary’s Cathedral and St. Joseph’s School and College.
Nirmal Rozario, president of the Bangladesh Christian Association, said that the crude bomb exploded in front of St. Mary’s Cathedral, but that around 500 people came the next day to worship.
Rahman said attackers targeting the cathedral zoomed up on a motorbike, and “threw a crude bomb inside the school campus and fled.”
Brother Chandan Benedict Gomes, school principal at St. Jospeh’s, said that the attack had caused “anxiety” but that “classes were held as usual.”
Interim leader Muhammad Yunus, the 85-year-old Nobel Peace Prize winner serving as chief adviser, has repeatedly promised that the first elections since the uprising will be held in February as planned, despite violent incidents.
On November 5 major parties opened their campaigns, which turned violent almost immediately, with a shooting at a rally for the powerful Bangladesh National Party.
Bangladesh police this month also offered cash rewards for the surrender of more than 1,300 machine guns, rifles and pistols looted during last year’s uprising.