Killer who dumped bodies in suitcases jailed for 42 years

Killer who dumped bodies in suitcases jailed for 42 years
A UK judge on Friday jailed for 42 years Colombian national Yostin Mosquera who decapitated and dismembered two people before dumping their bodies in suitcases on a landmark UK bridge. (X/@crispnigeria)
Short Url
Updated 24 October 2025
Follow

Killer who dumped bodies in suitcases jailed for 42 years

Killer who dumped bodies in suitcases jailed for 42 years
  • Sentencing him to life with a minimum term of 42 years, Judge Joel Bennathan said the murders had been “premeditated and thoroughly wicked“
  • Mosquera took their bodies to the southwestern city of Bristol in two suitcases

LONDON: A UK judge on Friday jailed for 42 years a man who decapitated and dismembered two people before dumping their bodies in suitcases on a landmark UK bridge.
Colombian national Yostin Mosquera murdered Albert Alfonso, 62, who was originally from France, and Paul Longworth, 71, last year at a flat the couple shared in west London where he had been staying with them.
A court earlier this year found the 35-year-old guilty of murdering both men.
Sentencing him to life with a minimum term of 42 years, Judge Joel Bennathan said the murders had been “premeditated and thoroughly wicked.”
“It was their tragedy that you, Yostin Mosquera, came into their lives,” he said, adding he was “sure” Mosquera had intended to try to sell their flat after killing them.
Mosquera filmed himself having sex with Alfonso and stabbing him to death after killing Longworth, who was struck with a hammer on the back of the head, prosecutors told the court earlier.
Police found the couple’s severed heads in a freezer at the flat, while Mosquera took their bodies to the southwestern city of Bristol in two suitcases where he left them on the Clifton Suspension Bridge.
An analysis of Mosquera’s computer showed he had looked up the value of the couple’s west London home, copied documents containing Alfonso’s online banking details, and searched the web for “serial killers of London” and “Jack the Ripper film.”
Alfonso, a swimming instructor, and Longworth, a retired maintenance worker, became civil partners in 2023.
Judge Bennathan described Alfonso as “a hardworking man who had shown (Mosquera) kindness and generosity.”
Longworth was a “harmless, amiable person who had done (the defendant) no wrong,” he added during a sentencing hearing at London’s Woolwich Crown Court.
After the killing, Mosquera traveled to Bristol where a cyclist spotted him on the bridge with a large red suitcase and a silver trunk.
Questioned by bridge staff about something leaking from the red suitcase, Mosquera told them it was oil.
When they shone their torches on the suitcases, he fled.
Bennathan said he was sure the defendant’s aim had been to “throw the cases full of body parts off the bridge in an attempt to dispose of them.”
Mosquera received two life terms which will be served concurrently along with a 16-month sentence for possessing child pornography.


Tanzania charges dozens with treason over violence linked to disputed election

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Tanzania charges dozens with treason over violence linked to disputed election

Tanzania charges dozens with treason over violence linked to disputed election
The charge sheet identified 76 suspects accused of intending to obstruct the Oct. 29 election
In addition to treason, the suspects also face criminal conspiracy charges

DODOMA, Tanzania: Prosecutors in Tanzania on Friday charged dozens of people with treason over their alleged roles in violence surrounding the country’s disputed election.
The charge sheet identified 76 suspects accused of intending to obstruct the Oct. 29 election “for the purpose of intimidating” the authorities in Dar es Salaam, the commercial capital.
In addition to treason, the suspects also face criminal conspiracy charges.
Tanzania is reeling from violence following an election that international observers say fell short of a free and fair vote. The authorities face questions over the death toll after security forces tried to quell riots and opposition protests in the East African country.
The main opposition party, Chadema, has claimed that more than 1,000 people were killed and said Tuesday that security forces were trying to hide the scale of the deaths by secretly disposing of the bodies.
President Samia Suluhu Hassan, who took office in 2021 after the death of her predecessor, took more than 97 percent of the vote, according to an official tally. Her main rivals, Tundu Lissu of Chadema and Luhaga Mpina of ACT-Wazalendo, were barred from running in what rights groups have called a climate of repression. There were enforced disappearances, arbitrary arrests and extrajudicial killings, according to Amnesty International. Tanzania’s government denies the claims.
The African Union said this week that its observers had concluded the election “did not comply with AU principles, normative frameworks, and other international obligations and standards for democratic elections.”
AU observers reported ballot stuffing at several polling stations and cases where voters were issued multiple ballots. The environment surrounding the election was “not conducive to peaceful conduct and acceptance of electoral outcomes,” the statement said.