5 more arrests as Louvre jewel heist probe deepens and key details emerge

Update 5 more arrests as Louvre jewel heist probe deepens and key details emerge
People queue to enter the Louvre museum in Paris, France. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 30 October 2025
Follow

5 more arrests as Louvre jewel heist probe deepens and key details emerge

5 more arrests as Louvre jewel heist probe deepens and key details emerge
  • The late-night operations in Paris and nearby Seine-Saint-Denis lift the total arrested to seven
  • Beccuau called the response an “exceptional mobilization” — about 100 investigators, seven days a week, with roughly 150 forensic samples analyzed and 189 items sealed as evidence

PARIS: The dragnet tightened around the Louvre on Thursday. Five more people were seized in the crown-jewels heist — including a suspect tied by DNA — the Paris prosecutor said, widening the sweep across the capital and its suburbs. Authorities said three of the four alleged members of the “commando” team, as French media have dubbed the robbers, are now in custody.
The late-night operations in Paris and nearby Seine-Saint-Denis lift the total arrested to seven. Prosecutor Laure Beccuau told RTL that one detainee is suspected of belonging to the brazen quartet that burst into the Apollo Gallery in broad daylight on Oct. 19; others held “may be able to inform us about how the events unfolded.”
Beccuau called the response an “exceptional mobilization” — about 100 investigators, seven days a week, with roughly 150 forensic samples analyzed and 189 items sealed as evidence.
Even so, she said the latest arrests did not uncover the loot — a trove valued around $102 million that includes a diamond-and-emerald necklace Napoleon gave to Empress Marie-Louise as a wedding gift, jewels tied to 19th-century Queens Marie-Amélie and Hortense, and Empress Eugénie’s pearl-and-diamond tiara.
Only one relic has surfaced so far — Eugénie’s crown, damaged but salvageable, dropped in the escape.
Beccuau renewed her appeal: “These jewels are now, of course, unsellable… There’s still time to give them back.”
Experts warn the gold could be melted and the stones re-cut to erase their past.
The choreography of a four-minute crime
Key planning details have snapped into focus. Nine days before the raid, thieves stole a truck-mounted lift — the kind movers use to reach upper floors — after answering a fake moving ad on the French classifieds site Leboncoin, Beccuau said Wednesday.
On the day itself, the same vehicle idled beneath the Louvre’s riverside façade.
At 9:30 a.m. it rose to the Apollo Gallery window; at 9:34 the glass gave way; by 9:38 the crew was gone — a four-minute strike. Only the “near-simultaneous” arrival of police and museum security stopped the thieves from torching the lift and preserved crucial traces, the prosecutor said.
Security footage shows at least four men forcing a window, cutting into two display cases with power tools and fleeing on two scooters toward eastern Paris. Investigators say there is no sign of insider help for now, though they are not ruling out a wider network beyond the four on camera.
The reckoning over security
French police have acknowledged major gaps in the Louvre’s defenses, turning an audacious theft — — carried out as visitors walked its corridors — into a national reckoning over how France protects its treasures.
Paris police chief Patrice Faure told senators the first alert to police came not from the Louvre’s security systems but from a cyclist outside who dialed the emergency line after seeing helmeted men with a basket lift. He acknowledged that aging, partly analog cameras and slow fixes left seams; $93 million of cabling work won’t finish before 2029–30, and the Louvre’s camera authorization even lapsed in July. Officers arrived fast, he said, but the delay came earlier in the chain.
Speaking to AP, former bank robber David Desclos characterized the heist as textbook and said he had warned the Louvre of glaring vulnerabilities in the layout of the Apollo Gallery. The Louvre has not responded to the claim.
Who’s charged already
Two earlier suspects, men aged 34 and 39 from Aubervilliers, north of Paris, were charged Wednesday with theft by an organized gang and criminal conspiracy after nearly 96 hours in custody. Beccuau said both gave “minimalist” statements and “partially admitted” their involvement.
One was stopped at Charles-de-Gaulle Airport with a one-way ticket to Algeria; his DNA matched a scooter used in the getaway.
French law normally keeps active investigations under a shroud of secrecy to protect police work and victims’ privacy. Only the prosecutor may speak publicly, though in high-profile cases police unions have occasionally shared partial details.
The brazen smash-and-grab inside the world’s most-visited museum stunned the heritage world. Four men, a lift truck and a stopwatch turned the Apollo Gallery’s blaze of gold and light into a crime scene — and a test of how France guards what it holds most dear.


Tanzanian opposition claims security forces are secretly dumping bodies after election violence

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Tanzanian opposition claims security forces are secretly dumping bodies after election violence

Tanzanian opposition claims security forces are secretly dumping bodies after election violence
NAIROBI: Authorities in Tanzania faced mounting concern Tuesday over killings during crackdowns on protests surrounding last week’s election, with the largest opposition party alleging that security forces were secretly dumping bodies of hundreds killed in the violence.
Demonstrations spread across the East African country for several days after the Oct. 29 voting as mostly young people took to the streets to protest an election that foreign observers said failed to meet democratic standards because key opposition figures were barred.
Authorities declared a nationwide curfew and security forces cracked down on protests by firing live bullets and tear gas canisters.
The main opposition party, Chadema, has claimed that more than 1,000 people were killed and said Tuesday that security forces were trying to hide the scale of the deaths by secretly disposing of the bodies. The authorities have not responded to the claims.
“Tanzanians’ hearts are bleeding right now. This is a new thing for Tanzanians,” Brenda Rupia, Chadema’s director of communications, said by phone from the commercial capital of Dar es Salaam.
President Samia Suluhu Hassan was declared the winner with more than 97 percent of the vote in a rare landslide victory for the region, but foreign observers said the turnout was low. It was her first election victory — she rose to the presidency automatically as vice president in 2021 after the sudden death of her predecessor, John Pombe Magufuli.
Hassan’s win has been criticized as not credible because her main rivals — Tundu Lissu of Chadema and Luhaga Mpina of ACT-Wazalendo — had been prevented from running. Lissu has been jailed for several months, facing treason allegations stemming from his call for electoral reforms. His deputy, John Heche, was also detained days before voting.
Human Rights Watch on Tuesday condemned the violent crackdown on protesters in a statement that urged Tanzanian authorities to “end the use of excessive and lethal force against protests, and take steps to ensure accountability” by security forces.
The group said various people in Tanzania had cited point-blank shootings by security forces.
The UK, Norway and Canada have cited what they said were credible reports of a large number of fatalities. And the Catholic Church says people died in their “hundreds,” although it was also unable to verify or confirm the exact numbers.
Tanganyika Law Society President Boniface Mwabukusi told The Associated Press that more than 1,000 people died based on accounts his group received and that it was in the process of compiling a report to be shared with international legal organizations.
“The killings were pre-planned to target regions that are known to be politically active, those that are critics of the ruling party. Following people to their homes and killing them amounts to a massacre,” Mwabukusi said.
Rupia, the top Chadema spokesperson, said at least 400 deaths have been reported by its leaders in the Tunduma area of Mbeya region. Other regions also have reported hundreds of victims, she said.
Asked if all the victims were getting funerals, she said that the security forces “are holding dead bodies” and that the remains of victims were being secretly dumped by the security forces to hide the scale of the killings.
Another Chadema official, Deogratius Munishi, said the party would not enter into any political pact with the government until there are electoral and judicial reforms to ensure justice is served. “We want to see those who shot Tanzanians being held accountable,” he said.
Tito Magoti, an independent human rights lawyer based in Dar es Salaam, said Tanzania is “in such crisis” as people look for missing relatives and others come to terms with the number of the dead, which he said is far greater than the figure cited by Chadema.
He said he received a message Tuesday from a citizen near the town of Arusha who reported seeing two army trucks coming from a hospital mortuary loaded with dead bodies. One was full and the other was half-full, he said.
He said he suspected authorities would bury the victims in a forest as part of a cover-up, and added that: “I don’t know know much hospitals are going to be complicit.”
Hassan, Tanzania’s first female leader, was inaugurated on Monday. She acknowledged in her speech that there had been loss of life and urged security agencies to ensure a return to normalcy.
Authorities have warned people not to share photos and videos that may cause panic as the Internet slowly returns after a six-day shutdown. Mobile phone users received a text message on Monday night saying that sharing images that could cause panic or demean human life would lead to “treason charges.”
The messages came shortly after the Internet was reconnected, when people began sharing unverified images of bodies they claimed were victims of the election protests.
A social media page that had been uploading videos and photos of purported election protest victims was pulled down on Monday evening, after attracting thousands of followers within a day.
On Tuesday, life was slowly returning to normal in Dar es Salaam and the administrative capital, Dodoma, with gas stations and grocery shops reopening and public transport resuming after days of closure.
The government spokesperson on Monday asked all public workers to return to work, effectively ending a work-from-home order that had been announced after the curfew imposed on Wednesday.