Syrian president holds historic Trump talks

Photograph released by SANA on Nov. 9, 2025, shows Syria’s President Ahmad Al-Sharaa (R) listening to Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad Al-Shaibani as they meet with representatives of Syrian-American organizations in Washington DC. (AFP)
Photograph released by SANA on Nov. 9, 2025, shows Syria’s President Ahmad Al-Sharaa (R) listening to Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad Al-Shaibani as they meet with representatives of Syrian-American organizations in Washington DC. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 9 sec ago
Follow

Syrian president holds historic Trump talks

Photograph released by SANA on November 9, 2025 shows Syria’s President Ahmad Al-Sharaa and Foreign Minister Asaad Al-Shaibani.
  • Both the arrival and the meeting of the Syrian president were taking place behind closed doors without the media present

WASHINGTON: Syrian President Ahmed Al-Sharaa met US President Donald Trump at the White House on Monday for unprecedented talks, just days after Washington removed him from a terrorism blacklist.
Sharaa, whose opposition forces ousted longtime ruler Bashar Assad late last year, is the first Syrian leader to visit the White House since the country’s 1946 independence.
Formerly affiliated with Al-Qaeda, Sharaa’s group, Hayat Tahrir Al-Sham (HTS), was itself only delisted as a terrorist group by Washington in July. Sharaa himself was taken off the list on Friday.
“The president of Syria arrived at the White House... The meeting between President Trump and President Al-Sharaa has also started,” the White House said in a statement.
Unusually for the normally camera-friendly Trump, both the arrival and the meeting of the Syrian president were taking place behind closed doors without the media present.
Trump said last week that Sharaa was doing a “very good job. It’s a tough neighborhood. And he’s a tough guy. But I got along with them very well and a lot of progress has been made with Syria.”
Sharaa’s White House visit is “a hugely symbolic moment for the country’s new leader, who thus marks another step in his astonishing transformation from militant leader to global statesman,” said Michael Hanna, US program director at the International Crisis Group.
The interim president met Trump for the first time in Saudi Arabia during the US leader’s regional tour in May. At the time the 79-year-old Trump dubbed Sharaa, 43, a “a young, attractive guy.”
Terror blacklist removal
The US envoy to Syria, Tom Barrack, said earlier this month that Sharaa may on Monday sign an agreement to join the international US-led alliance against Daesh.
The United States plans to establish a military base near Damascus “to coordinate humanitarian aid and observe developments between Syria and Israel,” a diplomatic source in Syria told AFP.
Washington has also been pushing for some kind of pact to end decades of enmity between Syria and Israel, part of Trump’s wider goal to shore up the fragile Gaza ceasefire with a broader Middle East peace settlement.
For his part, Sharaa is expected to seek US funds for Syria, which faces significant challenges in rebuilding after 13 years of devastating civil war.
After his arrival in Washington, Sharaa over the weekend met with IMF chief Kristalina Georgieva over possible aid.
He also played basketball with US CENTCOM commander Brad Cooper and Kevin Lambert, the head of the international anti-Daesh operation in Iraq, according to a social media post by Syria’s foreign minister.
State Department spokesman Tommy Pigott said Sharaa’s government had been meeting US demands on working to find missing Americans and on eliminating any remaining chemical weapons.
Sharaa’s trip comes weeks after he became the first Syrian president in decades to address the UN General Assembly in New York. Last week Washington led a Security Council vote to remove UN sanctions against him.
The Syrian president has also been making diplomatic outreach toward Washington’s rivals. He met Russian President Vladimir Putin in October in their first meeting since the removal of Assad, a key Kremlin ally.


Turkey helping in talks over Hamas fighters holed up in Gaza, sources say

Updated 2 min 32 sec ago
Follow

Turkey helping in talks over Hamas fighters holed up in Gaza, sources say

Turkey helping in talks over Hamas fighters holed up in Gaza, sources say
Nov 10 (Reuters) - Turkey is working with the United States and Arab mediators to secure safe passage for Hamas fighters who are holed up in tunnels in the Israel-controlled area of Gaza, a Palestinian source, a Hamas official and Turkish officials said on Monday.
The fate of about 200 fighters has complicated efforts to shift Gaza ceasefire talks, being conducted between Israel and the Palestinians militant group, to the next phase that aims to secure a permanent end to the two-year-old war.
A Palestinian source close to the mediation effort said Turkey was involved in mediation over the fate of the fighters, working alongside Egypt, Qatar and the United States.
Two Turkish officials, including the spokesperson for President Tayyip Erdogan's ruling AK Party, confirmed Turkey was mediating in talks over the fate of 200 Palestinians, without giving details.
Last week, U.S. envoy Steve Witkoff said resolving the standoff would be a test case for future steps in the wider ceasefire plan. He said it could be resolved by providing them with safe passage to Hamas-controlled areas of Gaza.
A Hamas official, who asked not to be identified, said Turkey was a mediator but did not give details about the negotiations, saying they covered a sensitive security issue.
The Israeli Prime Minister's Office did not respond to a request for comment on Turkey's role.
Last week, two sources said the Hamas fighters trapped in the Israeli-held Rafah area of Gaza were ready to surrender their arms in exchange for passage to other areas of Gaza.
Hamas has not confirmed the number of trapped fighters but has previously demanded that they be allowed to go to areas controlled by the group. Israel has so far resisted this.
Turkey, a fierce critic of Israel's military campaign in Gaza and with close ties to Palestinian group, was a signatory to the U.S.-backed Israel-Hamas ceasefire deal.
(Reporting by Reuters journalists; Editing by Edmund Blair)